22. Chasing Time

A/N: thank you for your reads! You're awesome as always!

I'm not a medical expert but I tried to incorporate some terms on this chapter. Don't be offended. This is pure fiction.

Happy weekend!
Love lots! <3

* * * * * * *

"Doctor, how is my brother?"

"Thankfully, someone informed the nurses of the patient's sudden heart attack. We were able to prevent a massive damage to his heart muscle this time. You're still blessed but…"

"But?" Mia furrowed her brows as the doctor whispered the next sentences to her.

"Ms. Eakins, Thomas could really use a new heart. I'm afraid that if this happens again, simply put that his heart couldn't take another attack anymore." The doctor explained with sympathy and patted Mia's shoulder as he returned inside the operating room to wrap up the post procedures.

Mia shrunk back and covered her face with her delicate hands.

"M, it is so great to know that Thomas overcame this phase." Leah uttered and was now breathing normally again obviously didn't hear the advice of the doctor. She slumped down and laid her head on the back portion of the three-seater gang chair.

Mia nodded at her friend and gave a bitter smile. She also closed her eyes while waiting for Thomas to be transferred. After some time, her brother was carried back to the private room and Leah helped her to manage the documents and the hospital bills.

All the savings left in Mia’s bank account were used up and the salary premiums she's received from the previous months will also be utilized this time. But she couldn't care less as long as it's for her brother.

"I've let the Human Resources and President Trish know about the situation and applied for a work leave on your behalf." The assistant informed Mia of her actions as she looked at the siblings from the door.

"Thank you very much, Leah." Mia could only give her a grateful look and invited the woman inside the room. Her friend was willing to stay but Mia persuaded her to go home after taking a power nap on the sofa.

After an hour, Mia was left alone and still watched over Thomas. She couldn't believe that they're back at square one as she organized the medical prescriptions that she has to oversee and budgeted the remaining money that they have. They can manage until next month. Fortunately, her salary is enough to fund the expensive drugs but for their daily living expenses…

Mia sighed and uttered a silent prayer. She will have to think of another way to support their other needs.

"Amelia…"

Someone called from the entrance and Mia swiftly put back the papers inside her shoulder bag.

"Mother, why are you here?"

Fred Pieta will be operated on later that morning so Juliette is in the hospital for the preparation. She rushed over to Thomas' room when she heard about the news. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Mia shook her head as Juliette reached for her bag and attempted to return the money that she gave earlier this week.

"We already decided to give those for father's operation. Keep it, please." Mia stated with finality.

The older woman sighed and reluctantly returned the money in her bag. She then held Mia's hand and consoled her.

"Thomas is a fighter. We will be there for him as always."