62. Proud Father

The crowd was in awe but felt the rising tension as the group of independent judges approached the front.

Did they hear right? Is the Crown Prince truly of royal descent?

This is what the other three Princes heard and witnessed when they entered the banquet hall as the Tribunal arrived. Same with everyone, Judah and the twins were astounded at the revelation.

Furthermore, Tamar was relieved but appeared confused. The only group that was not surprised is Mia's.

'What nonsense are they spouting?'
King Reuben was in a tight spot. He couldn't dismiss the Tribunal even if he wanted to. He also couldn't show any sign of disdain at a seemingly wonderful fact that the Chief uttered. He looked over at Neero who still didn't say a word from the ceremony up to that moment. The Crown Prince's back was facing them and emitted a cold presence.

In contrast, the media were feeling fortunate for accepting the invitation to the banquet. They caught a big scoop and this might be the story of the decade.

"Chief, we can talk about this at the office after the celebration." Queen Laura suggested in a whispering manner when she saw the reporters enthusiastically raise their cameras. She thought that before this kind of rubbish spreads out, they need to control the situation. Their plans must not be ruined. Neero, being a royal, could impact their intention. It's better if he isn't so that, when they have him silenced, no one will bother to investigate.

In their kingdom, royals are said to love their own kind. The death of the Duke of Salem, in the past, took a toll on the monarch's power and reputation. Fortunately, her brother, Augustine became the sacrificial piece. Shaking off her thoughts, the Queen signaled the master of ceremonies for assistance.

[Ahh.. Prestigious guests. We will continue the celebration at the gardens to enjoy the fireworks show that the palace had prepared for the late brother of her Majesty. This will be the last activity of the night.]

Several royal lackeys did their work and led the guests to the palace gardens. But before anyone could step out of the hall, the Chief suddenly spoke.

"Your Majesties. Aren't you delighted that the Crown Prince is of royalty? We can discuss the matter here." The Chief looked at the monarch couple with challenging eyes. The crowd and the media halted on their steps and were interested about the topic to be discussed.

"Your honor, this is a personal matter. We couldn't risk the Crown Prince's reputation as the people feast on that wonderful claim. My son has experienced enough and will be dejected if it turns out to be misleading. Let's give him a peaceful night." The Queen tried to persuade the party with her seemingly good intention as she clenched her fists on the side. She glanced at Neero's way as the young man still didn't utter any word until now.

'So he could be noble. It's only fitting that he became the Crown Prince. No one can ridicule him like before.'

'Silence. We're not sure of that. One can claim that they're royal without hard evidence.' Another whispered.

"Your Majesty, the Tribunal's words could not be considered light. They wouldn't declare that phrase without evidence." Mia stated, holding Neero's hand.

"Who are you to speak for brother? This is a family matter. No outsider is allowed." Princess Tamar retorted.

The temperature inside the hall became so low. Neero met Tamar's taunting eyes. The princess trembled at the sight of his sharp look and diverted her eyes elsewhere.

"My wife's words are as good as mine." Neero shortly uttered, giving face to Mia. He then felt the reassuring squeeze of her delicate hands on him. Thankfully, his wife didn't mind the princess' words. He signaled his hand and made the guests sit on their respective chairs.

The monarch couple stood without moving. They cannot refuse anymore as Neero's baritone voice was heard inside the hall. Queen Laura was panicking inside and held her dear husband's hand. The King glanced at her briefly but barely showed expression.

The Tribunal was still standing at the front and didn't bother to take seats as they waited for the hall to become quiet.

"Gathering and verifying the evidence, the Crown Prince has royal blood." The Chief declared and raised a document which became the focus of attention. The main video recorder was connected to the big white screens on the sides so everybody could see the paper.

"This… from which family?" Someone asked.

"The Akilah's."

Most people were on their feet once again because of the revelation. This has been an interesting evening.

Queen Laura stood up and held the microphone in her shaking hands. "So it's true. You're my brother's?"

Neero nodded his head and just observed his so-called parents. The Queen has mastered the act of role playing. She's been good at it over the years.

Amidst the joyful news, Tamar felt like she was struck by lightning. 'What family? He's my cousin?' Her legs became weak and her hands felt cold. Fortunately, Thomas was nearby and held her in place.

"Well, this is a great cause for celebration! Our son, Neero, has always been a family nevertheless." King Reuben uttered loudly. He went along with his wife even though his insides are revolting. He applauded and the joyful crowd followed it.

Right after, the Queen lovingly embraced Neero. She was teary-eyed as she faced the people and uttered sweet words. "This young man really grew up smart, handsome, sensible and reliable. He is a kind of child who listened to our teachings and was patient to learn it all. I know my dear brother is watching over us and is surely pleased with what the Crown Prince has become."

"Indeed I am." A deep voice was heard. A regal person emerged from the center of the crowd. His posture is as elegant as the Crown Prince. He doesn't need a royal mantle to be in a calibre of a king.

And once again, one couldn't hear a sound except for the footsteps of that man who is marching towards the Crown Prince. He stood beside the younger man as the spectators uttered no words because of shock.

"You've done well, my son. It is an honor to be your father." Augustine sincerely said as he patted Neero's cheek. He was the same age as Neero when he was driven out of the Palace. Frustration and madness drove his heart down and he kept it all inside. He never cared because he had no more reason back then. The only known family that he had, once sacrificed him for a selfish gain.

But at this moment, looking at his son’s resolute eyes, it ignited a fire. The feeling is not that cold anymore. He now has a cause to stand his ground and claim what's due to them.

Augustine knowingly nodded at Neero and turned around to face the monarch couple.

"Now, on what part of your script did you stop, Laura?" Augustine smirked.

* * * * * * *

YSABELLE M. | 2023

Hi lovelies. As I've said, I am busy.
I'm sorry.
Also, I'm having my check ups. My eyes acted up again.
I will finish this story. Worry not.
I decided to upload this chapter because it will be out of my mind if I don't.
Please bear with me.
Lovelots!