55. Casualty

IN THE PALACE.

The Queen finally calmed herself and sat down. Her hand was held by Reuben. Judah, on the other hand, was not fazed. He trusted that his older brother, the First Prince, has reasons for such utterance.

Neero subtly glanced at the direction of the reigning couple. When the Chief asked a follow up question, he answered that Akilah was indeed his family name. He submitted his birth certificate earlier. The Tribunal was already checking the authenticity of the paper and didn't waver at the revelation. All of them were poker faces as the questioning went on.

The royals were also surprised at what they'd heard. Was the First Prince professing that infamous name just to get back on the monarch couple for the current interrogation? Everyone needs to wait and listen nonetheless.

At the same time, a set of documents was handed up front. Marcus was smug enough when the Chief halted on with the cross-examination. The folder contained papers of the void marriage of Neero and the maiden of Salem. The file records from the Civil Registry were not according to the law and legality was out of the picture. That was the first appeal which was presented last time on the inner court.

"Regarding this claim, the First Prince and the Maiden of Salem's marriage is void." The Chief shortly uttered, addressing no one.

"It seems that Mister Shechem is very concerned with my well being. Sorry to disappoint, we've already set forth our counter to that." Neero answered confidently and gazed at Marcus deeply. The nephew of Duchess Viola froze as he gave him a cold stare.

"Mister Shechem, what's your purpose for bringing up these papers?" The Chief suddenly inquired.

Marcus clenched his jaws. As far as he knows, those documents were valid.

"I... We..." The man was thinking of the right words and glanced at his Aunt Viola. He could say that he did it to disqualify the First Prince from being a candidate to the Crown Prince selection. It's normal for opposition to arise anyways.

But before Marcus could answer, a faint saccharine voice sounded.

"Your honor, those are indeed correct."

The venue was met with silence.

"See, your honor! The courage of those two! They already admitted their deception and disrespect to the Crown. Unbelievable!" Marcus fueled, pointing down at the accused couple.

The crowd was stirred up and the media were quenched of their thirst as they typed in speed, competing to be the first one to put the juiciest headline for the day.

DISRESPECTING THE CROWN: A PRINCE AND PRINCESS' FIRST AND LAST

"It is without a doubt, unacceptable." Princess Tamar's tone was of disappointment but her eyes were very hopeful. Neero is not married? Her heartbeat was rising and stared at the prince's pristine face.

"How can this be?" The queen murmured loudly enough for the royals to overhear it. She purposely did it to deflect everyone's focus from the previous topic. She looked pale and was shaky.

The public sympathy went to the monarch family and gone was the attention from the real family name of Neero.

The people's frail minds were easily diverted to hearsay. The officials were not hushed in their opinions, either. Various comments already circulated in the virtual networks, too. Deceiving the Crown is prohibited. If proven guilty, the First Prince will be disqualified as a candidate and both him and Mia could be exiled.

The place was blaring with different voices, speaking one's mind openly and freely. But in the midst of disorder, the couple who were being targeted remained calm. The Tribunal members were also quiet.