39| Gakushū's fear, Masami's delusion, Karma's shock

Last night I heard the screaming
Loud voices behind the wall
Another sleepless night for me

____________________

After school, Gakushū was surprised to see his father waiting for him outside the school building by the car. When their similar violet eyes met, Gakuho simply nodded at him and opened the door to the passenger seat.

Gakushū was hesitant but, decided to get in the vehicle. His father has been so unnervingly nice and polite to him

What was this man planning?

"How was school?" Gakuho asked, adjusting the rearview mirror. Gakushū forced himself to look at the mirror, meeting his father's intense gaze. "Fi...fine" he answered, cursing himself for stuttering.

"Hmm.." Gakuho just hummed, before twisting the key.

The drive was silent, and Gakushū preferred it that way. He watched the buildings pass, counting the minutes in his head until he can finally be home, to his mother's side.

He smiled to himself as he imagines her beautiful pale face, her gentle smile, her lovely singing voice. He imagines her sweet aroma of lavenders and something spicy

Strangely, this reminded him of Karma, who also has a scent of lavender and spices.

Gakushū bit his lower lip as his thoughts wandered to the red haired boy.

Gakushū isn't stupid, far from it in fact. He's a genius after all so it didn't take him long to realize that he harbors romantic interests for Karma, his new friend. And unlike other people who rather than denying their feelings for the person they used to despise, Gakushū was very quick to accept it.

After all, the boy is his safe haven, his anchor, the thing that's keeping him from completely falling into the darkness and killing himself. It isn't good that he's been too dependant on the boy but he can't stop himself, he's unstable and Karma is his medicine.

It was only after fifteen minutes, that Gakushū realized they were going in the direction opposite from home.

Gakushū blinked when he saw unfamiliar buildings. "Father, this doesn't appear to be the direction to home" he said.

Gakuho didn't reply.

Soon, they stopped Infront of a warehouse.

Gakuho got out of the car and yanked open the door shielding Gakushū. "Get out" he said.

Suddenly receiving flashbacks to when he was abandoned in the middle of nowhere at six years old and was forced to walk home barefoot, Gakushū refused to leave the car.

"Fine" Gakuho said, turning his back and entering the warehouse. "Not like you can stay hiding in there anyway" he added with a sinister smile.

Gakushū gulped, watching his father open the large doors of the warehouse and slipping inside.

The boy stayed there in the car, the door still wide open, just staring at the warehouse. What were they doing out here? Why did Gakuho take him here?

Ten minutes passed, and Gakushū has willed himself out of the safety of the car. It's like Gakuho said, he can't hide in there forever. If he stayed there for another minute he knows his father will come and drag him out of the car and give him a worse punishment.

Then, he slowly approached the door to the warehouse, reached his hand, and pushed it open.

He followed his father inside, wanting to just get this over with and go home.

_________________________

Masami is a gentle woman who loves her family more than life itself. She loved her estranged daughter, loves her son, and most of all loves her husband.

She also loves the mansion she lives in, and the wonderful garden, and she loves the warm food and warm clothes too, very very much. As someone who grew up in poverty,  this lavish lifestyle is like a taste of heaven, or perhaps heaven itself.

But not all is as it seems. As perfect as her life may appear....it really isn't.

She may have a soft comfortable bed, but she can hardly have any sleep because she would have nightmares about her children, screaming and crying

She can hardly enjoy her warm meal, because of her knowledge that her children can hardly eat because of the bruises on their jaws and necks

She can hardly stand to stay in that mansion, because of the memories of the events that took place in the halls and in certain rooms, replaying in her mind like a broken tape recorder. That is why she chose to take on as many business trips as she can, because it's her chance to escape...temporarily, from the harsh truth that her family....isn't perfect.

"It's normal" she says. "It's fine" she convinced herself. "It's normal for a parent to discipline their child, it's normal for a father to teach their child a lesson for misbehaving" because she herself has been through the same with her own father.

Gakuho....Gakuho loves them. He loves their children, loves her

He's a good man, a good husband, a good father, everything is fine

Everything is certainly fine

"Shū-chan! Gakuho" she greeted her husband and son by the door, but stopped in her tracks when she noticed her son's head hung lowly. "Shū?"

Her view of her son was blocked by Gakuho, who embraced her and kisses her lovingly. She smiled, melting into the kiss. "Welcome home" she said to her husband.

Gakushū slipped past them undetected, and hid in his room.

He removed his school blazer, and looked down at his hands.

______________________

Karma couldn't sleep again. Try as he might he just can't.

He growled in frustration when he saw it was 4am. "Fuck" he cursed, and rolled into his back.

He felt something wet slide down his cheeks. Crying? Why the hell was he crying?

Bzzt bzzt!

His phone vibrated beside his head. He picked it up, and the message he read made his heart drop to the pit of his stomach

Gakushū: Bridge