[32]"what if they don't stop?"

As usual, Steve was the first to wake up the next day. He stretched his arms out until he hit something under the covers. Pulling them back he found you curled up fast asleep. He rubbed his eyes to make sure he'd actually woken up before leaning over and hitting Bucky. The man opened one eye to see Steve sat next to you with a questioning look before he gave one right back.
"When did she get here?" He barely got out.
"I was going to ask you. I just woke up and she was sleeping".
"Oh" stated Bucky, "do you think she had another nightmare?"
Steve looked worried, "I didn't hear anything, did you?"
He shook his head and looked down as you stirred awake. "Mpphh" you made a noise into the mattress and went still again.
After a few moments Bucky asked "are you awake?"
"No" you mumbled still face down, earning a small chuckle.
He gently played with your hair until you shifted to face them, your cheeks still red from sleep.
"Are you ok?" He asked in a quiet, careful tone to which you rolled your eyes and mumbled out an "I'm fine".
"Do you want to talk about it?" Steve questioned.
"No" you answered as you wriggled out the bed and went to get ready for school.

He turned to Bucky and sighed, "do we keep asking her about it? Or will that make it worse? What if she's got brain damage from the cold water and her personality has changed. What if she's traumatised?"
"Stevie calm down your spiralling" he put a comforting hand on Steve's leg. "First of all, if she was going to get brain damage it would have been from one of the other many, and worse, accidents and Bruce checks her pretty much weekly at this point he would have noticed. And I hope she isn't traumatised, maybe it's just made her a little bit more cautious and set off a few nightmares. We should try and get her talking about it but we should drop it this morning and hope the nightmares stop".
Steve looked worried, "what if they don't stop?"
"Then we work through it, like last time" he smiled.

They got dressed and went downstairs to make coffee. After a while you walked in fully dressed and quietly sat down. "Cereal or toast?" Asked Steve. You just scrunched your nose and shook your head. He looked at you and repeated, "cereal or toast?". You rolled your eyes again and mumbled "cereal". You ate some chocolate pillows until you were full and the alarm indicated it was time to leave. You went to stand up but Steve ushered you to sit back down, "we aren't leaving until you finish". So for the third time that day you rolled your eyes.

By the time you got to school the lesson was just about to start so you sat down and looked up to the front. They were saying something about the courage Atticus showed in the book to kill a mockingbird. Many of the other kids didn't seem to get the idea of the statement. They thought he was brave and courageous for all the wrong things when in fact the author started writing it between 1950-60 so clearly wanted to encourage others to fight for someone based on their behaviours rather than what others assume they are. "If you can argue it was all a dream Rupert, then you can write that" said the teacher as you dropped your head into your hands. "Y/n, do you have anything you want to say?"
"No"
"Really" she tilted her head, "you don't have any opinions or insight in this discussion?"
"I have nothing to say" out loud anyway, you thought grumpily but thankfully she moved on to another kid talking about secret lizard people.
Just like the day before, you left and spent morning break sat on the fence outside. The weather was a bit colder today but with the blazer on it was fine. The rest of the morning was a long boring blur so it was a relief when you could go to lunch with your friends. As you walked over Sarah and Lila were laughing together and the boys were having what looked like a very exciting conversation. "Y/n!" Yelled cooper, "i have my first basketball game next week! Will you come?" He beamed and the others stopped their conversations looking just as happy for him.
"Yea of course" you replied, "i cant wait!"
"Yessss" he hissed before turning his head, "so Sarah, are you really not going to tell us what powers you have?"
She smiled before saying "nope! And you better stop asking or i might use them on you". Everyone giggled and cooper sat wide eyed. "Ok I'm sorry!.... What if we guess it?"
"No!" She shouted back with a grin.
"Ok I will drop it, but can you say whether or not you can teleport?"
She looked at him for a moment and replied, "i can't teleport".
He looked confused and Lila said, "would you even admit it if you could?"
"Nope!" Said Sarah causing cooper to groan. "Uhhh, We're never going to know!"
"Y/n hasn't told me what she can do either!" Sarah defended herself, pointing towards you.
Smiling, you replied "I haven't, maybe one day we'll tell each other". She nodded in response and cooper looked worried, "but you'll tell us too though, right?
Everyone laughed but moved on to another conversation.

The closer the afternoon lesson got the more irritated you were becoming. It sounded like the worst thing in the world to sit in a busy classroom pretending to listen to more rubbish. When the bell rang you took as long as possible to pack up and walked the long way around. When you got there nearly everyone was already in their seat and the teacher was speaking, "Miss James, good afternoon. Your nearly late, sit down" he shouted in that overly loud teacher voice they all have. After a while he started saying something about enzymes. "Enzymes speed up the rate of a reaction in our bodies, can anyone remember the names of any?"
Gianna spoke from behind, "wasn't one called Dr Pepper or something"
You barely heard the teacher respond as her voice took you back to the nightmares, 'I know about you y/n'. You snapped out of it to see he was still talking to her, "it's pepsin, but you were very close Gianna, that's a good way to remember it".
You felt on edge as the images tried to force their way in, 'they're coming to get you'.
You jerked up and some kid gave a weird stare before turning back around. Your knuckles went white from grabbing the edges of the table but it just got worse. The feeling bubbled up inside you, a mix of panic, anger and fear. Faces flashed in front of you forcing you to jump up from your seat and run out. "Miss James! Get back here! Where are you going?"

Peter looked up from the other side of the classroom as you ran out, hands clutching your ears. Immediately concerned he left his chair and ran over to your desk collecting your bag and running out the door. "Mr Parker! Where are you going?!"
He ignored it and looked around the corridor but you weren't there. He didn't want to get in anymore trouble so he jogged to Miss Courts office and knocked gently. "Come in" he heard her call. Opening the door he quickly looked around incase you were there but was met with empty chairs. "Are you ok Peter?"
He suddenly remembered and flicked his head up, "Um, yes. Well, y/n ran out of biology just now and it seemed like something was wrong but I don't know where she went. I have her bag" he added holding it up.
Tilting her head to the side she asked, "oh. Do you know what's going on?"
Looking slightly worried he answered, "no, she's been kind of quiet the past couple of days. She still talks to us but just quieter, and she sometimes spends break times on her own".
"Ok" she said gently, taking the bag, "I'll see if I can find her and we will talk. Thank you, you can go back to lessons now"
With a nod he reluctantly left.

Miss Court began to search for you, starting in the corridors near the classroom you left, and checking out the windows nearby. After a few minutes she decided to go straight to the library as there was a very high chance you were there. She couldn't immediately see you so went up to the desk with a lady sat at it. "Hi, I was wondering if you've seen y/n James in here?"
She looked up and smiled, "the little smart one?" She gestured with her hand close to the floor.
"That's the one"
"Yes I think I saw her come in here about five minutes ago and go over there" she pointed to the corner behind some bookcases.

Miss Court thanked her and quickly walked around until she found you sat on the floor in a corner. You sat hunched with your eyes to the floor, looking a mix between irritated and upset.
"Hey y/n" she said kindly whilst sitting down next to you. "Why did you leave your lesson?"
You shrugged and kept your eyes down.
"If I'm going to help you then you at least have to say why you left" she tried to coax out.
"Just didn't want to be there anymore" you muttered out, still not moving.
She was silent for a minute before saying, "you're allowed to leave lessons sometimes when you need to, but you have to tell someone so they know where you are. Is this why you've been acting different?"
You shrugged your shoulders again not wanting to tell her so you said, "it's just annoying, I don't like it".
She placed a comforting hand on yours, "well you can do your work online here in the library when you need to but you have to promise you'll stop by my office first and tell me".
You nodded in agreement before asking "can you not tell my dad about this? He worries too much anyway"
"Fine" she sighed out, "however if anything else happens or I'm worried about you then I'll be straight on the phone. Deal?"
"Deal" you replied
"Ok I'll go get you a laptop and let your teacher know your here".

A few hours later you were in the car on the way home. Bucky tried to ask you a few questions but once again you'd fallen asleep very quickly. This time you slept a bit longer and then messaged Pete to say you couldn't join the study FaceTime again today, before you carried on with your new research, eating dinner and going to bed. The nightmares were continuous. Just one after the other of voices, soldiers, guns and even new ones you'd never had before. By now you'd stopped crying out and would just wake up with a quiet gasp every time.