Genius? - 18 months

Steve and Bucky are worried about your development so go to bruce for help, and discover something they weren't expecting. (Also you still can't speak).

Word count: 1,700

——————-

"On Saturday he ate through, one piece of chocolate cake, one ice cream, one pickle...."

You sat with Steve as he read the hungry caterpillar for the tenth time. The pages full of colour and different foods as you sat patiently.

"Hey guys", said Bucky, who'd just come in from training, "what are you reading?"

"The hungry caterpillar!" Said Steve in his excited voice. But by this point he could probably recite the book in his sleep.

Bucky went into the bathroom so Steve handed you the book and ran after him.

"Buck I'm worried", he whispered. "Y/n just seems sort of in her own world all the time".

These conversations had started happening quite often so Bucky smiled. "I know but remember what bruce said, we don't know what trauma shes been through so we shouldn't expect her to talk in the same time other kids her age do".

"I know Buck but she doesn't seem to be doing anything else either. She doesn't point or identify things when i ask. What if shes developmentally delayed and needs our help?"

Bucky put a hand on the man's shoulders and peeked out. You were sat in the same spot with the book on your lap looking up at nothing.

"You need to stop googling things, it makes you worry. But would it make you feel better if we saw bruce again?"

The blonde nodded so Bucky sighed. "Ok let me shower really quick and then we can see if he's free".

When he was done he walked into the bedroom to see Steve standing with you. He'd dressed you in blue joggers and a captain America top.

Bucky laughed, "look at you! Are you dressed like daddy!" He said making you giggle.

They walked into the lab and bruce didn't look busy, "hi guys, what can i do for you?"

Bucky turned to Steve so he could explain, "um well we are a bit worried about y/n. She still doesn't seem to be.. well.. in the same world as us most of the time. And um, i was worried". He finished, turning his eyes to the floor.

Bruce smiled, "thats ok, all parents worry. We can take a look".

They placed you on the floor and bruce got out a small box of toys. He placed a couple of different wooden animals on the floor. "Hey y/n, can you show me the giraffe?" You looked at them and looked up to bruce looking lost. "What about the pig?" But he got the same answer.

"Do you go over these things with her?" He asked your dads and they both nodded.

"We do all that and we read her like ten books a day", said Steve, "although normally she just wants the hungry caterpillar".

Bruce looked back down, "y/n, can you hand me the caterpillar?" But you, again, didn't move for the caterpillar.

"Ok what about clapping your hands? Can you clap your hands?" He smiled clapping his own.

You stared at him with eyebrows slightly raised.

"Does she always react like this?" He asked them. You would never spend much time around anyone except your dads still.

"Yea most of the time", answered Bucky, "sometimes she'll turn the pages in the book but not all the time. She never answers when we ask her, whats this? for example. Occasionally she'll point at something she wants but most of the time she just cries or shouts random noises until we figure it out".