Zoo - 6 years old

Everyone goes to the zoo and you and Peter have fun! (And get into a little trouble).

Word count: 3,700

———————————

"Are we ready?" Steve bends down and asks you, taking the giant rucksack from you that you'd been holding.

You nodded silently so he held out his hand and helped you into the car.

"Daddy should be here soon", he narrates, making sure you're buckled in properly before shutting the door and walking to the drivers side.

He leant over his seat and spoke to you about all the different kinds of animals you'd only ever seen in books.

He didn't always agree with zoos so they found a sanctuary a little over an hour away and both your dads were ecstatic to take you.

"Are you excited?" He asked.

You gave a little nod and started chewing your finger as Steve carried on talking.

"We're going to see elephants and monkeys!" He said happily.

"And fish", you added quietly.

"Yea, fish to! And we might even see a lion!"

Your eyes widened at the mention of it. Steve thought you'd be more excited about seeing a lion.

"It can get us?" You said in a small voice.

Although you had shown everyone you were practically a genius already, you were still very much a child. And having never been to a zoo before, you didn't really know what to expect.

"Oh, no baby. The animals can't get us, don't worry it's safe". He leant over to hold your hand until Bucky opened the passenger side door and got in.

"About time!" Huffed Steve.

"About time", you copied, making them laugh.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry, but someone took forever in the bathroom so I was behind schedule", he glared at Steve who shrugged.

"I had to do my hair".

"What hair Steve? You barely have any!".

A sudden giggle from the backseat reminded them you were listening. So they smiled at each other and started the drive to the zoo.

"Who's ready to see some animals?!" Bucky shouted.

"Animallssss!" You shouted back with your hands in the air.

It was quiet for a moment before you looked out the window and mumbled to yourself.

"Gonna see fishes".

Steve gave Bucky a funny look.

"Why does she keep talking about fish?"

With a chuckle Bucky looked over to see you still looking out the window before replying.

"Peter showed her finding Nemo and now she keeps talking about them".

This had been happening a lot more since you and Peter became friends last year. The kid was obsessed with films and had started showing you all sorts of things that you then wanted to know more about.

"Hey, isn't the plural of fish still just fish? Not fishes?" Steve looked to you through the mirror.

"It's fishes", you replied shortly.