[48]"That wasn't a dream"

It was a tense few hours. The adults sat around the table and the kids sat on the sofa across the room.
"Is she going to be ok?" Cooper asked sadly, but the other didn't know.
"Bruce said it's a routine operation as long as the infection hasn't already spread around and he was pretty sure it hadn't got that far yet", Sarah said, because there was nothing else she could contribute to the conversation, though it didn't help.

Peter decided to change the subject hoping it would help. "Cooper did we end up winning that basketball game?"
He shook his head, "as soon as I left they scored and won by a single point".
"They must have been angry", said Lila but cooper shrugged.
"They were angry but I didn't care, there was more important things going on. Plus they couldn't have been that angry, they still want me to play the next game".

They talked about arbitrary things until bruce walked back in. "She's ok, you can come and see her but shes still under anaesthetic".
Everyone rushed out to see you, letting Steve and Bucky in first.
You were back in the bed as if nothing had changed, only this time a triangular bandage was placed over your left arm, bringing it across to your opposite shoulder.

They were hesitant to touch you so placed hands on your legs and gently stroked your hair instead.
"I managed to amputate just before the elbow so shes only missing the hand and forearm. It'll make it easier for prosthetics", said bruce. "She'll still have to have antibiotics for a while to make sure everything's ok as it heals". They thanked him and everyone spent some time with you talking. You were still unconscious but they all felt a bit better after it. Eventually though, the kids were sent off to bed after only getting a few hours before, as the adults stayed.

"Do you think she knew?" Asked Clint. "Do you think she knew about Hydra and them being back? Didn't the nightmares start around the time Tony found out they were meeting up?"
"Around the same time but literally like eight people knew and we didn't even know it was an issue at that point so how could she?" Tony argued.
"And she definitely cant read minds or predict the future?" Clint joked, but secretly he was being serious.

Steve chuckled, "thats not one of her skills, no. I think it was just a coincidence, she couldn't have known".
"I don't know" Bucky said slowly, lost in thought. "Sometimes i could tell when they were near, or when they were watching me. When she was little it was just small things, wasn't it? That set off her nightmares. But it hasn't happened in a long time. Maybe she could sense them but didn't realise and thats why they've started again?"

The others thought about it. "It's definitely plausible", said Bruce.

Steve didn't like it, "ok lets talk about something else", so they discussed what new equipment the team needs hoping tony would buy it.

A few hours after everyone had gone to bed you opened your eyes feeling very confused. You didn't feel as sick as the last time you woke up which was good. Looking around, you saw your dads sat in their chairs looking very uncomfortable as they slept. And then you noticed the bandage across your chest. Sitting up as much as possible, you untied it, letting it drop. And you saw the other bandage wrapped around your arm but it stopped at the elbow.

You thought you must have been dreaming again as you stared at where your hand used to be.
That was when Bucky woke up, "oh no", he whispered to himself as he sat up.
This must have woke Steve because he jumped up straight after. "Y/n", he said gently, trying to get your attention but you just kept looking at it.

"I'm sorry", Bucky said with a hand on your shoulder. "The cut was infected and bruce said you had sepsis so we didn't have another choice". He waited for you to respond.