[47]"I have no idea"

Thank you to demon_griff   for an idea for some of my plot going forward! It was an amazing idea and, I think, made the last section of my book so much better 😊
—————————————

Walking through the compound now, it was evident new cameras had been set up. At least two sat in every corner, one old, one new, and not a single area was unwatched.
As Sarah tucked the last wire away Bruce called her into the next room.

"Hey Sarah we were wondering if you could help look for the lost footage, we still need it to figure out who they are".
She was exceedingly happy someone had asked for her help so she got to work immediately.

After some time Bruce noticed she wanted to speak but seemed to not say anything.
"What is it you wanted to ask?"
She looked shocked but quickly recovered and asked her question.
"Umm, so if my dad had a sister, Wanda, and she's basically your family..." she looked down but luckily Bruce knew what she was going to say.

"Yes" he smiled, "welcome to the family".

He squeezed her shoulder and went back to work, typing at the keyboard. And Sarah smiled to herself before joining.

The day went by slowly and the anxiety in the building rose as the day went on but no one commented on it.
Everything felt too calm than it should have been which had the opposite affect and made everyone nervous.
The kids all wanted to ask if there was something wrong but they weren't sure if they wanted an answer. So instead, they kept busy by doing small jobs around the compound.

Bruce however was getting worried. Your temperature hadn't gone down and the antibiotics seemed to have no affect on your wound, which was now a deep red and slightly swollen.
Your dads knew it wasn't good but didn't ask Bruce as he kept giving you medicines.
"Ok these will help with the inflammation" he smiled tightly before leaving.

Tony appeared from a side room and dragged Bruce away.
"RIGHT, we need to talk!" He sounded angry and tense as he looked at Bruce.

"Everyone is on edge! Everyone is worried and we don't even know why! We should be finding who did this so we can stop them! Where the hell have you been?!"
Bruce looked at him and shook his head, replying with just as much vigour. "Where have I been?! I've been looking after y/n! Who, by the way, you haven't spent much time with since she's been back!"

Tony scoffed, "oh really?! That doesn't even matter if they come back and take her AGAIN!!! We need to be focusing on them and not her!"

"Are you an idiot?!" Screamed Bruce. "Have you not seen the amount of antibiotics I'm putting in her?! Do you not think that might be something to worry about?!"

"It doesn't matter if she isn't here!"

"YES IT DOES!" Bruce screamed, reaching a new level of anger.

"Oh yea?" Hissed Tony, "what could be more important than making sure they don't come back?"

"She could lose her arm!" Bruce shouted, stepping forward.

They both stopped for a second as Tony heard what the other man said. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, her cut is infected! It's not healing! It's getting worse and she's showing signs of sepsis!"

Tony asked again quietly, "what does that mean?" Even though he knew the answer.

"If it doesn't heal, then we need to amputate it before the infection spreads around her body and kills her".

Tony sighed and sunk to the floor, leaning against the wall with his head in his hands.
"Ok. So y/n was kidnapped and brought back and we don't know why or by who. They outsmarted me and you, and my technology and we don't know when they'll be back. Y/n is going to lose either her arm or her life. Bucky especially, is not going to be happy about either option. We've got a building full of our kids and one of them is Wandas lost brothers daughter. And she has powers. Have I missed anything?" He asked Bruce as the other man also sunk to the floor.