[33]"it's the school"

A few days later it was Friday afternoon and Steve and Bucky sat in the tower talking to Tony. "Anyway so Pete won't be here this weekend aunt May needs to collect something a few hours away for her work so she wanted to take him and spend some time together".
"Uh oh. When should we tell y/n, she's been a bit distant she's not going to like this" said Steve.
Tony just shrugged, "Pete will probably tell her himself so get ready for a call from the school telling you to pick her up early!" He said in an overly cheery voice just as Buckys phone rang.
"It's the school" he muttered out giving Tony a death stare and leaving the room.
"Wow that's creepy" stated Tony, "I was kidding"
"Is everything ok?" Steve asked as soon as the other walked back in.
"Well apparently she's not been to her afternoon lessons since Monday! She's been working in the library but today she went and hid outside instead. I need to go pick her up", grabbing his coat and hat, Bucky left leaving the other two to discuss something work related.

Half an hour later they heard the elevator ding and you and Bucky walked out. "Have fun at school?" Tony asked at your obviously irritated face.
"Mppfff" you grumbled, dropping your bag in the middle of the floor and leaving to go to your room.
Bucky picked it up and sighed, "she was asleep in the car, I woke her up".
"I'll check on her later once she's had a rest" Steve said before carrying on the conversation with Tony.

A while later Bucky got bored so opened your rucksack and took out your lunch. "She's eaten even less!" He shouted, interrupting the others. Steve furrowed his eyebrows and picked up the half sandwich and full pack of crisps. "All she's eaten today is half a sandwich and a chocolate bar, she refused to have breakfast. What the hells going on. I thought the nightmares haven't come back for a couple days she should be eating. Do you think they've come back?"
"I don't know" answered Bucky, "I thought they'd gone, I haven't heard anything".
Tony, actually being helpful, said, "she hasn't had any nightmares in the few hours she's been here or FRIDAY would have said something. He will let us know if she does".
The two mean nodded solemnly and moved on, "so what's wrong?"
"Well on the phone Miss Court said she doesn't like her lessons at the moment. Maybe she's just bored and upset?"
"We could take her out tonight?" Steve suggested, "that way we can spend time with her and she can eat".
Tony pulled a face, "Um actually cap you have that meeting tonight. I'm sorry I can't cancel it but I can change it so your done by 8pm?"
"Urggggg" he groaned putting his head on the table. Bucky walked over patting his shoulder until Steve looked back up. "You should still take her out and then I'll just see you both when you get back".
"Are you sure Stevie? We could do it another day instead?" But he just shook his head. "No you take her somewhere nice, make sure she eats and I'll hopefully be done by the time you're back". They talked for awhile and finally agreed and made a plan.

"Y/n" Steve whispered, trying to wake you up. "Y/n you've been sleeping for hours you need to wake up. Let me see those eyes" he said gently.
Slowly, you brought your hands up to your face and rubbed your eyes before opening them slightly. "There's my baby girl" he smiled, "so you and other dad are going to go on a daddy daughter date tonight, and your going to get some nice food"
"What about you?" You said still half asleep.
"I have a boring meeting I need to go to, but I'm going to be here when you guys get back"
"Where are you going to eat?" You asked through a yawn.
"Don't worry, Nat said she would cook for everyone"
You scrunched your face, "oh that's not good". Steve chuckled and tapped your nose, "hey she can be pretty good at cooking if she has to. Now get up I'm going to help you get ready.
"Ok", you said with a small smile, "but I need to have a shower first".
You must have spent longer than you thought in there because when you were done Steve was laying in your bed, on his back, half asleep.
Walking over, you prodded his forehead making him inhale suddenly and open his eyes, "finally!" He said, "let's find you something to wear".

A while later, when you were just about ready, a knock sounded at your door. Steve opened it to Bucky wearing a simple black suit and white shirt. "I'm here to pick up y/n" he said with a grin.
"Nope" said Steve slamming the door in his face.
A whine came from the other side, "stevieee!". It made Steve chuckle as he opened the door to Bucky faking a pout. "Fine come in!".
He walked straight over to you, crouching down and holding your hands. You wore a very light pink dress with small, matching slip on shoes. "You look beautiful" he said with a grin, kissing your hand. "And you're strong. Your fearless. Your kind. I love you, sweetheart". You blushed slightly and tried to hide it behind an eye roll. He clearly saw because he chuckled, "are you ready to go?" You nodded, saying goodbye to Steve and walking out. Bucky opened the car door for you when you got in and out, and even pulled your chair out for you at the restaurant. It was very nice, the tables had posh red and white cloths on them and the waiters all had white gloves. It was fancy but not so fancy you felt like you didn't fit in. It was perfect. Bucky tried to ask how you were but you just shrugged it off and said you hadn't had a nightmare for a couple of days so he dropped it.
"How do you feel about Peter not being here this weekend" he asked eating a mouthful of ravioli.
"I don't know" you said before pausing to think about it, "it's weird. He's always here"
He nodded in understanding, "is that why you left your lessons earlier?" He didn't seem angry at all he just wanted to know.
You looked down, pinning your eyebrows together, "Um.. I'm not sure. I was bored, Peter wasn't going to be at the compound, and that bimbo was in the library with her friends being really loud". No one else knew but whenever you saw Gianna your chest constricted and only let in small breaths, and images flashed in front of you, so it was getting harder to not run away every time she was near.
"You're not allowed to say bimbo after the last time" he said with a fake stern expression, the edges of his mouth twitching up.
You brought your spaghetti up to your mouth hiding a smile and quietly mumbled, "I thought that was just to her face".
You carried on eating the spaghetti occasionally slurping it up so the sauce flicked around your face making you both laugh.
When both plates were empty you went to leave. Bucky put his suit jacket on you so you wouldn't get cold and held your hand as you walked down the road to the car, smiling.