Adjusting - 15 months

The first morning y/n wakes up at the avengers tower, after being saved from hydra. she gets onto a roof and everyone freaks out (this is mentioned in the book). This is what happens the rest of the day, it takes some time for everyone to adjust. (She can't talk yet).

Word count: 3,400

——————————————-

"Y/n you can't climb onto the roof ok?" Bucky tries to question a tiny you, but you just look up with big glimmering eyes.

"I don't think she understands, she's a baby", tony tries to help but Bucky's having none of it.

"Nope, she understands, i can tell. Look at her eyes, they're plotting something".

The engineer decides its best to leave the crazy old man staring at the innocent baby, "well ok then... I'm getting lunch. The team will probably want to help today so you'll have backup if she plans an attack", he joked, walking out.

Not long after, Steve walked in carrying a small bowl and sippy cup for your lunch. They'd decided not to eat in the main room with the others because you still seemed nervous with some of them. "One bowl of mac and cheese", he said putting the bowl down, "and a sippy cup of apple juice".

Both were placed in front of you but you just stared at them, your dads were waiting for you to reach out but nothing happened. "Maybe she needs help", said Bucky, so Steve picked up the little spoon and held the food up, but you moved your head away.

"It's ok its just mac and cheese, everyone likes mac and cheese", he tried coaxing but you still refused keeping your mouth in a tight line.

Bucky tried something else, "do you want your drink?" He asked holding it up but you just stared back. "It's yours" he added.

You looked between him and the cup with a questioning face. "It's ok you can take it". With a wary arm you took it out his hand and looked at it before turning it over.

The two adults looked at each other with concerned expressions before Bucky helped. "Look, like this", he took it and drank some before handing it back.

You looked up before copying. You took a sip and a horrible sweet taste filled your mouth so you immediately spat it back out whining. "It's ok!" Exclaimed Bucky. He quickly took the cup and emptied it in the sink, refilling it with water. "Here try now", you took it back but didn't drink it. "It's different, i promise". He had been really nice so far so you took another sip, not spitting it out this time.

Steve looked slightly shocked, "huh.. doesn't like apple juice then" he said turning to Bucky. "Well i guess Hydra doesn't have apple juice so she doesn't know what it is".

They watched you drink some more before holding the cup to your chest and looking back up at them.

"Good girl. Try some of this, i made it myself", said Steve holding the spoon up again but like before, you shook your head and moved away. "Come on just try some, i think you'll like it", he encouraged.

After a few minutes of refusing, tears began pooling out your eyes. As soon as they did you threw yourself to the floor hiding your face and trying to quieten the sniffles. "Hey hey it's ok!" Said Steve rushing over. He was about to pick you up when you flinched so he quickly pulled his hands back and lay down with you whispering sweet things. "It's ok, you're safe here. You don't have to eat the food we can go and find something else instead, there's lots here. It's ok baby girl".

Eventually you stopped and looked up at him with a red puffy face. He held his arms out and after some hesitation you dropped yourself into them.

He didn't move for a while, rubbing slow circles on your back, happy that you trusted him but eventually he stood up. "Let's go find you some different food".