Chapter 2

***Chapter 2***

Lucas

"I don't understand. I don't. If there is no more damned coffee then just make a new one. It's not that hard," Lucas grumbles.

"Isn't this your second cup?" Agent Dixson asks.

"Yes, so?"

"Your the only one who has used this floor's pot."

Lucas winces.

"Make another pot next time, it's not that hard," Dixson claps his shoulder.

"Will do," Lucas feels his ears get red.

"Flynn got news for you. Come here," Agent Vaughn pokes his head through the door. Lucas finishes up making his coffee, quickly throwing in some milk.

"Angie?" He flashes Dixon a smile.

She sighs, "Fine, I'll make it, but only because I forgot to buy mine."

"Flynn!" Vaughn calls impatiently. Lucas nods his thanks before joining Vaughn.

"You look like crap," Vaughn says.

"This case has got me on little rest."

"Well, this new piece of information will either help or make it worse for you."

"What is it?"

Vaughn hands him a cream folder, "The reporter was found killed in an alleyway. Single-shot in the head execution-style. Shortly before the murder, her apartment is completely burned down, along with any potential new evidence."

Lucas swears and opens the up folder, quickly skimming through the pictures of the bloody death and destroyed home.

"A white mask was found by her car similar to the other one we found by the other murderer. Seems she tried to make a run for it, but he caught her and shot her. Her death was a quick one."

"A quick death is still death," Lucas closes the folder, "I don't see how this will help. We are now worse off for the trial. There can't be a trial without evidence."

Vaughn smiles, "That's where the good part comes in. There was a witness to the murder."

Lucas's eyebrows raised, "A witness?"

"She recorded everything."

Lucas stops his hopes thinking that it sounds too good to be true, "But?"

"There was a light fog and the voices sound very weird like the audio is off or something. The only thing clear is that it was a man and a woman and a murder took place. Once the gun went off the witness got scared and lowered the phone slightly. But the good part is the witness. If she has a video backing her up then her testimony is reliable and if we can find the murderer we might have more than enough to end this whole thing. It would be even better than a recording."

"Can the witness describe what the murderer looks like?"

Vaughn shrugs, "She might, but she won't talk. She's only said her name and that she got the recording."

Lucas rubs his jaw, "Do we know if she is an innocent bystander for sure?"

"Our background check didn't bring up anything suspicious. We have her in interrogation room 2," Vaughn heads to the room, "she only wants to speak with the guy in charge of the case."

"Give me her run down," Lucas orders following him. Vaughn gives him a smaller folder.

"Samantha Myers. She was found hidden behind a dumpster. 28-year-old old woman with no serious criminal history. Graduated with honors, but didn't attend a post-secondary school. She works as a secretary and seems to be stable. Goes to psychological therapy sessions every week but they seem self-appointed."