Chapter 20

Lucas

Lucas thanks him and goes to Vaughn's office. He has a new task for him. What Harlow and the director said doesn't match up. When he gets there, Vaughn is pulling another Funko Pop out of a box.

"Check it I got Deadpool," he holds up the ridiculous square-headed figurine. Lucas rolls his eyes.

"Don't you think you're too old for that? 20 years too old."

"Well, I'm sorry you're so moody all the time, and you've lost your youthful spirit," Marcus places the figure next to Dwight from The Office. "I've still got mine and I enjoy having it."

"Didn't I give you something to do?"

"Yes and I started, but my package came in," he gathers all the bubble wrapping dispersed on his desk and shoves it into the trashcan.

"I got permission to investigate Micheal as a side investigation."

"I didn't realize you would ask for permission."

"Can't risk anything right now, but it won't be a priority. Do Micheal when you have nothing else to do. For now, I want you to investigate Agent Howard and Agent Ellison. Oh, and about Dixon-."

"Dixon? No way she's involved," he interrupts.

"Like I was going to say. Did you know about Dixon leaving to take care of a nephew?"

"Yes, she mentioned it, but since she was part of the team that was taken off the case as a precaution when the evidence disappeared, I didn't see anything out of place about it."

Lucas remembers when she stopped him at the stairs. That's probably what she was going to tell him. "Should we add her back to the case? We could use another trustworthy hand looking over every little thing."

"I don't see why not. I'll look more into her just in case."

"I can do that, you already got plenty to do."

"You think the other Agents are involved?"

"Maybe not. I'm not sure, but something Auclair told me makes me want to make sure."

Marcus waits for him to say what while taking out a chocolate caramel to munch on.

"He told him being fired was kept on the low, but Harlow said many agents came to say goodbye. The statements don't go together. I found it weird I didn't hear about it but supposed that it was on me since I don't talk to many of them. Then I got thinking that maybe Harlow only said he remembered those two people for a reason."

"You think he said their names as a hint?"

"It's possible. Just in case, I want to do a quick check on them. We have got to follow any hunch we get."

"Alright, I'll do that now, how about you? What are you going to do, apart from Dixon?"

Lucas shows him the post-it Auclair gave him, "Walker Wilder, on the cyber team. You know him?"

Vaughn nods, "I know of him. He was the one who stopped the Philadelphia cyberattack seconds before it launched." Lucas suddenly remembers like a light bulb about the near crisis three years prior. He was well aware of the situation at the time, but since it didn't have anything to do with his division, he didn't join in all the talk on it.

"One of the best around, good you got his number," Vaughn adds.

"According to the director, Harlow is one of the best, too."

"Really? Wonder why he is in financials. Not much spotlight there."

"Don't know, but I'm going to call Wilder and ask him to help us figure out if Harlow had something to do with the disappearance of the online evidence," Lucas says.