Chapter 17

Samantha

"You're okay," Julian grins when he sees her. He then flickers a finger to Lucas. "Had this one worried sick. I admit his worry passed to me."

"I'm sorry," she apologizes, Lucas's words still ringing in her head. You are mine to protect. What the hell did he mean with that? That he is the only one he trusts to keep the evidence alive, or is their emotion in it? If only Lucas's expressions weren't so hard to figure out. She'd tried her best to get him to assign someone else, knowing that if she is around him much longer, she won't be able to resist. His strong arms calming her down scared her. Only her brother has been able to calm her down so quickly in the past.

"Don't sweat it. I told this bozo to tell you," Julian gives Lucas a look. Lucas glares right back. "So you were in the attic?"

"Yes."

Julian pokes Lucas, "Told you that she was probably just scared. Lucas thought you were kidnapped for a second there. Thought I would have to give him CPR due to him having a heart attack."

"You exaggerate," Lucas wrinkles his nose. "Now shut up the hell up, we have to discuss a plan."

"Jeez, why so mad? You found her, doesn't that make you be less grouchy?"

Taking a seat in a kitchen chair, Samantha throws a quick glance at Lucas. His brows are pulled in and his lips are in a tight line. His perfectly kissable lips. She sighs. She is aware she made him angry, but she is only doing what she thinks is best. Doesn't he understand that? Unless he doesn't feel what she feels and her rudeness truly makes no sense to him. That's probably it. Then, what did he mean by, "You're mine to protect?"

"Anyway, you guys can discuss whatever plan and then tell me about it later?"

"You just got here," Samantha says.

"I know, but I was in the middle of something with another case of mine. Only came so quick to make sure you were found safe and sound."

"I appreciate that," she thanks him.

"Anytime," Julian pats his brother on the shoulder and finishes his goodbyes.

"Are you well now? You feel sick or anything?" Lucas sits down directly across from her as soon as they hear Julian's car leave. Something in his expression captures her full attention.

"Even though what happened tonight should not have happened, it showed we need to be better prepared. You cannot go off without telling me or giving some indication as to where you were."

"What if I have no time to find you?"

"Then I will tell you an assigned location you can run to. That way, at least I know where you are supposed to be. There is a panic room which will be that location."

"And if I can't make it to the attic?"

"Then there is one other place that you can properly hide in. A small hidden cubby at the end of the closet upstairs."

"And-"

"And if you can't make it there then you run, but hopefully it won't come to that, but if you hide somewhere I don't know then I will think the worst," his gaze is intense on her.  "I don't want to have to assume the worst."

"Did you assume the worst tonight?" she hears herself ask. An immediate blush hits her.

Lucas's jaw clenches, "Yes, I did. Even though I knew it was only fireworks, I did. I looked for you everywhere."

"Except the attic."

"Except the attic," he agrees. Reaching over he surprises her by grabbing her hand. "Myers, if I am being honest-"