Chapter 40

Lucas

"Shit," is the first thing Lucas things when he sees Auclair. Vaughn and Julian knowing about him and Samantha is fine. He knows they won't do anything about it, but the goddamn director is the last person he would want to find out about them. He can almost see the promotion offer being taken away and handed to someone else. 

"What the hell is she wearing?" Lucas remembers the shirt he gave Samantha. Though with Samantha's slightly swollen lips and the fact that he was holding her hand, he doubts Auclair wouldn't be able to make a guess.

"She is wearing a shirt," Lucas glimpses at Julian and Vaughn. He doubts anyone of them gave them up. Both of them shrug, looking just as confused as he is.

"He was waiting here when we got here," Julian says, "We almost shot him down."

Auclair holds up a hand shushing Julian who in return scoffs with a roll of his eyes and leans against the counter. "I know it's a damn shirt. I am not blind, Flynn. I am asking why she is wearing it, in hope that your answer will save you."

"It is mine," Lucas says, not seeing the point in lying. It will only make it worse.

"Are you two together?"

"Something like that."

"Something like that?" Auclair almost yells, "are you not thinking of your future boy? Do you not want-"

"Can we have this conversation in private?" Lucas interrupts him before he can mention the promotion. Samantha doesn't know about it, and he would like to keep it that way.

"Samantha can you go up to the room for a bit?" he asks her, having to look behind him given she had shrunk back away from them.

She nods going to the stairs. Instead of going up she surprises him by going to Auclair and sticking her hand out, "I'm Samantha Myers."

Auclair eyes her hand, but doesn't shake it.

"Do you not know how to shake a hand?" she asks, annoyance in her tone. Julian snorts, earning them each a glare from the director.

"I'm Auclair," he shakes her hand softly.

Samantha eyes flicker between all of them, "Sorry for causing any trouble that may have been because of me."

Lucas shakes his head at her apologizing once more for something she doesn't need to. "Don't say sorry. You did nothing wrong," he says taking her hand and leading her back to the stair.

"Is he your boss?" she whispers.

"Yes," Lucas whispers back, not being able but smile at her cuteness.

"If I get you fired, do I get to pick the next agent to protect me? I was thinking one a bit shorter next time. Is that available?" she asks, looking completely serious, but he knows she is only joking.

Lucas laughs and lightly pushes her forward up the stairs, "You can't pick us like we're in a vending machine."

"Shame, I had some coins saved up. Guess you'll have to just try to not get fired," she says over her shoulder. Lucas grips the stairwell and waits for the door to close. Really not feeling like arguing, but knowing he has no choice, he wipes the smile off his face and turns back to the director. A scowl is on his face, which Lucas is sure is on there because of the exchange he just had with Samantha.

"Okay, let me explain everything, before you say anything," Lucas says, suddenly thankful he sees the man as an uncle and hardly as intimidating as other people find him.