Chapter 33

Samantha

"Your bad you know that?" Lucas laughs.

"I'm only saying that if people want honesty and then complain when they get it why should I be the one to apologize?"

"Oh gosh, just drink your drink," Lucas points to her cup, "Julian should be here by now."

The front door sounds as if on cue.

"Hello guys," Julian greets. "What is that?" he points as Samantha's smoothie is nose turned.

"That's what I asked him. I think it's poisoned ."

"It's not that bad. I tried it before I gave it to you, it's good," Lucas argues, "Drink it."

Samantha's nose wrinkles at the same time as Julian's.

"Uh, anyways you had something to give me?" Julian turns his attention away from the drink. 

"Yes, a key," Lucas pulls out a silver tiny key from his pocket, "I found it in Harlow's things. Thought about to ask him about it when we pick him up tomorrow. I already checked it doesn't match any station boxes or mail boxes in the area."

"Why give it to me then?"

Lucas shrugs, "See if you can search it from another angle, one I haven't thought of. Harlow may refuse to answer."

Julian grabs the key and pockets it, "Alright then," he looks at Samantha who lost interests in the key conversation and is once more staring at the drink with distaste. "I thought you were good at making food, brother."

"Couldn't you find a better recipe?" Samantha asks.

Lucas rolls his eyes as his phone starts ringing, "Come on just give it a try," he tells her picking it up. Samantha groans but takes a drink.

"Huh, it's actually not bad," she says. She gives Lucas a thumbs up, but his expression makes her forget the drink.

"When did this happen?" he asks, "In the head? I'll be right there."

"Lucas?" Julian asks.

Lucas clenches the chair with both hands his nostrils flared.

"Lucas calm down," Julian approaches him, "what happened?"

"Harlow is dead," he says. Samantha's eyes widen. She remembers the name from the guy she thought was framed.

"What?"

"Shot in the god damn head!" Lucas turns and punches the fridge making Samantha jump. "His kids found him when they got home. They lost their father and we lost our lead again," Lucas yells.

"Calm down we will find another one," Julian says.

"When? We are down to fourteen days and every time we find something, it gets taken away!"

"We still have Samantha," Julian reminds him. Lucas snaps his gaze to her as if he'd forgotten she is sitting there. His facial features calm down slightly as seeing her wide eye stare.

Lucas grabs his jacket, "I have to go, can you stay here with her?"

Julian nods, "I'll take care of her."

Samantha shock at Lucas's anger fades and is replaced with worry. "What if the murder is still out there?" she blurts, "If they know your head of the case, they will want you dead."

"He'll be fine," Julian assures her.

"But what if-"

"Samantha," Lucas lightly touches her hand, "I know what I am doing. I'll be fine."