Chapter 6

***Chapter 6: Part One***

Lucas

Lucas walks to his office to get the remaining papers he needs. At noon he's already gone and interviewed three 166 members that are in jail, none of who have given up anything useful. 166ers are proving to be extremely loyal to the gang. Which is making his job extremely difficult. Now he's back in the office collecting all his papers on the case which he has locked away in a secret drawer on his desk. Vaughn is still on the task of receiving files on all the agents of every level accessible to them, that came even a centimeter close to the case evidence. Almost never does an agent switch sides without an incentive, so that's what they have to find. A possible incentive.

All Lucas has to do after bringing his papers and laptop, is get special permission from his director to work as much as he can from the safe house. He probably should have done that before he made any preparations but he wanted to leave everything ready so he can leave the minutes he get permission. His tech guy wiped his computer off of his notes and victim cases in relation to the case. Putting it along with Samantha's testimony and video on a USB drive. He is going to do everything possible so that the evidence has no way of disappearing. He finishes up in his office and locks the door. As he walks to his bosses office he wonders if Samantha is awake. She probably is and most likely found something to do. He sent a rookie agent to find her purse and cancel her credit card for her. She will be expecting a phone, but he will get her a tablet instead. Her using her number is too risky. Lucas sighs, that will probably lead to another discussion.

He would rather work on the field than deal with her stubbornness. No, that's not true. Lucas gulps down more coffee from a cup he grabbed earlier. True, being on the field would be much for efficient for the case, especially since they have limited time, but keeping the witness alive requires him to work from the safe house. At least until they find the corrupt agent. Then she can be transferred to a government-owned safe house.

Lucas reaches Director Auclair's door. He softly knocks it running his hands through his hair to push it back. He is in desperate need of a trim. He tried his best to gel it back this morning, and while he manages to push it to the side in glossy stiff waves, a couple too many strands keep getting out of place. Something Auclair disapproves of. Not that he is a mean person, of course as a director he leads with strict authority, but he is also reasonable and understanding. Lucas often finds himself looking up to him and his perfect balance of the seriousness of their line of work and a positive attitude towards enjoying life. Although he might be a bit biased as he grew up with Auclair being his father's best friend. Very much like Vaughn and himself.

"Enter," his voice booms.

Lucas tosses his remaining coffee into the trash can before entering.

"Sir," he nods taking a seat in front of him.

Auclair leans back in his chair, "How's the case going Flynn? I reckon you haven't forgotten how imperative it is we win this."

"No, sir I have not forgotten."

"Good, good. You win this one, then the position is yours," Auclair unnecessarily reminds him. The position of the head of the public corruption division is in need of a new candidate. Lucas wants the position more than anything. It's what he has been working towards for years. Years full of my putting his life on the line and never taking a day off. Many think he is much too young for it, but almost every other candidate has either rejected it, no longer wanting to be tied to the corruption division, or has been taken off the board for another reason.

"I aware sir."

Auclair grunts, "I feared you might have lost your strife with the disappearance of the evidence."