Chapter one: subject MM2077

The atmosphere was cold and felt heavy, the area it was surrounding being secluded. This specific section of the building had not just a dense atmosphere, but it had an eery feeling to it. It made countless waves of chills run down my spine and all of my muscles tense up. The only sound you could hear was the constant, hurried clicking noise our heels made as we speed-walked on the white tiles cemented on the ground.

My honey brown eyes darted to my co-worker, who was slightly taller than me. Her aburn hair was tied up into a neat ponytail, her blue eyes widened in curiosity and fear. I could see that her pace was slowing down as we neared our destination. She was hesitating, but that did not surprise me as she was one of the most fearful people I have had the pleasure of knowing.

It still shocked me though, to see her once curious expression dissipating into the cold air.

I looked right were her eyes were glued and came to a halt. We had arrived. We both stared at the large, heavy looking door in front of us. This is where she and I had been assigned to work from now on. Behind that tall, metallic door was possibly the answer to years and years worth of unsolved cases regarding kidnapping and murder.

"Akielia?" My co-worker and friend whispered my name. I hummed in response, waiting for her to start talking. I knew what she was going to say. That I was stupid to take this offer and even more stupid for telling the higher powers to involve her. She was going to say that it was not worth it and we should just stick to dissecting rats and frogs. Why should I though? Why should I, when I know that I am destined for more?

So what if my idea of more was working in a restricted access science lab that held captive one of the most dangerous phenomenons to ever be caught?

"We shouldn't have come here," she whispered-shouted at me as if we were being listened to. "Just by walking down the passage, I can feel how evil this thing is..." She says this while digging inside her pocket for her keycard.

She wants this too, she is just having first day jitters. She'll come around.

"The government wanted only the best for this case and we were the chosen ones. Just take a breath and think about how this will benefit us in the long run." I reminded her, straightening my white lab coat. I brushed a strand of my black hair off my face while my friend, Sharlene, scanned the card.

That is how important this case was. The man that was locked behind this door is under government security. Before, I had always questioned why they were so persistent on keeping him in a science lab instead of a prison. Now, I know why:

In the beginning, we, the people who worked in St Khanna Laboratory were instructed to sign a contract that stated that we wouldn't breathe a word about this case. Not to our families, not to any journalist, not to anyone. It was pretty difficult with mobs of people swarming the property, demanding answers. This was how big this case is. It was all over the news, the bold headlines emphasizing how one of the biggest crime mysteries in the world have been solved. I got even more excited when I found out that my lab was working with the government to research him.

I just had to get involved.

Sharlene lifted the card and pressed it against the scanner, a low beep coming from it. The door slowly and dramatically slid open, a small amount of fog shooting at our feet. I felt like I was in some movie. I looked back at Sharlene to make sure that she was okay. Fear is what I found in her eyes.

She noticed my concerned stare and smiled faintly, silently reassuring me that she was ready and okay. I smiled back and we stepped inside, the doors closing behind us.

It looked just like every other science lab we had in the building, although it seemed to be slightly bigger. The walls were painted white and the ceiling lights made the room even more bright. It was almost blinding. On one side, there was a desk that carried a computer and documents on it. There were also a bunch of test tubes and beakers, some filled with various coloured substances and some were empty.