Chapter forty nine: fairy

"Where are we going, Daffodil?" I asked, jumping over large fallen logs and getting slapped in the face by branches. I brushed my hair back and followed closely, wondering why I was blindly following a stranger into the woods again. This is exactly how I got into this mess in the first place.

Some things just never change.

Finally, the thick trees and bushes cleared out and we stepped into an open space. I sighed in relief and took a few breaths before opening my eyes to look around. My jaw slightly opened at the sight I saw before me.

"It's beautiful..." I muttered, staring at just hundreds of purple and pink flowers that were surrounding us. I spun around, taking my time by looking everywhere. It was like a secret garden, a beautiful and peaceful place I never wanted to leave.

One thing I didn't fail to notice, was the pure silence. No birds chirping. No crickets. Not even a single bee. It was just isolated.

And that was kind of unnatural.

"This is one of the many hidden incubators fairies have," Daffodil explained to me with a hushed voice.

"Incubator? For what?" I asked her, still looking around the small paradise.

"For baby fairies, of course. I gave birth here." She said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I turned to look at her with furrowed brows. I could have sworn that she was my age or slightly younger... But then again, this is a fairy. She could be a thousand years old for all I know.

"You were pregnant? And you're keeping them here? Outside?" I asked her, following her to a small bush near the flowers.

"Shhh, look here." She whispered, spreading the bush apart with her small fingers... And sure enough, there were about three green eggs well hidden in there, each one the size of an orange. "They may hatch anytime soon, and they'll have to survive on their own."

What?

"But you're here to take care of them," I said.

"Mama fairies do not go back to their young. They must learn everything on their own in order to survive." She explained. I nodded at her, not mentioning to her how I thought that was a horrible way to raise children.

"And their father?" I asked softly, smiling when one of the little eggs wiggled. Daffodil picked it up gently, cupping it in her hands.

"He left when I told him I was expecting the fairies. His name was Bluebell, he had the brightest blue wings I've ever seen. We were in love, then he just up and left." She told me with a sigh. "I think about him every day, wondering if he thinks of me too. He took a piece of me when he left."

She handed the egg to me and I cupped it and carefully placed it on my shirt while holding it. "I was going to name her Aloe since she will be a green fairy, but you may change her name when she hatches."

I looked at her in shock. She wasn't possibly about to give me her unhatched baby.

"Daffodil, you can't do this. Your baby..."

"Will be better off with you as her caretaker. Trust me, fairies are better as individuals. Colonies and families never work out well."

"There's just too much going on. Her life will be in danger if she is with me." I added to her.

"That's why she will protect you. They learn fast and she will be a great asset. Give her a day after hatching. She'll be speaking and flying about."

I looked back down at the egg... At Aloe. "Thank you. I promise to take care of her."