Chapter forty eight: heartbreak

"You're a witch? Like casting magic with a wand type of stuff?" I asked her with raised eyebrows. Mrs Zulu, or better as Precious, nodded at me. I pursed my lips, wondering how I had missed all these years that a woman serving me food was a witch.

"Sorceress is a better term. I don't use a wand nor do I have a magic broomstick. I'm just a normal elderly lady."

"You live in a pumpkin-shaped house with a fairy, pretending to be a lunch lady at a science lab. There's nothing normal about this." I objected. I had so many questions for her but I needed to let her explain.

"My job isn't pretense. I love it and all of you who worked at the lab. You're the only family I have left." She said sadly, staring at her tea. "I was removed from my homeland when I was just a baby and was forced to grow amongst supernaturals because I was a magic bearer. I was their most prized possession, the one who could heal them and make any sort of potion they desired."

"So why are you here?" I asked her softly.

"I am hiding... From Silas." She told me. My eyes widened in surprise. Why could she possibly be hiding from Silas?

"Silas is a very evil person, Akielia. I regret ever making him your mate." Precious said mournfully. She shook her head in regret, making my heart loudly pound in my chest.

"You are the one who mated me up with the twins? How? Why?" I asked her loudly, putting the now empty cup of tea on the table.

"He forced me to, said he would murder me and you if I didn't do it." She said, her beady eyes brimming with tears. "He wanted to be king but the rest of the island refused so he orchestrated this plan to start a war between humans and supernaturals to pressure the leaders to assign a king by force."

What... What the hell!?

"But... There is no war between humans... There's a war against me!" I said, "why? Why did that happen?"

"His plan failed. He wanted me to make a human fall in love with him so it would wreak havoc between both kinds. After, he would be appointed king because he is the strongest to fight and then he would kill you after getting the throne and take over the world."

"And Sei? Where does he fit in this? He would never agree to this." I asked, my vision fading because of the tears that started forming.

"Sei was against it, so Silas made me feed him a poison that brainwashed him and his family. That's why Sei is always submitting to Silas and doesn't know how to speak properly." She was now weeping as she spoke. She regretted everything that she had done.

I regretted everything.

"So it was all a lie? Him saying he loves me. It was all just him using me?" I asked softly. I buried my face in my hands, tears streaming down my cheeks as the realization dawned upon me. Silas was using me and Sei this whole time. He was the bad guy this whole time. He is the one who needs to die, not Valedria. Valedria just fell for Silas' plan.

To bring me here and stir up a war with humans.

By getting my family killed, military workers... People highly recognized by the government. Their death would start a massive investigation... And war.

He knew that 

Being trapped at the lab, he planned it out and somehow made sure I would be the one to look after him. That was his first step to getting me in love.