Chapter six: camera footage

I got to my house and tossed my purse on my couch, eager to clean the place before I continued with my normal routine. I headed straight to the kitchen first, thinking to myself if I should get rid of the glass in my inside bin or the trashcan outside?

This thoughts soon evaporated into the air when I looked right where I had last left the shards, my eyes landing on an empty table. No paper, no shards, just table.

That's definitely weird.

I looked at the floor, thinking that maybe it must have fallen again. I must be on another level of clumsy if that's what happened, or gravity must be against me. To my confusion and shock, I found my floor spotless. There was nothing. It's like someone had just cleaned it up for me but that doesn't make any sense. I don't have any maid, I don't speak to my neighbors and my family doesn't even care about me.

Even if all of those situations were different, no one but me has access to my house.

Or maybe that's what I thought.

As I did in the morning, I looked at the windows and saw them closed. How else could a person enter? Through the back door? I quickly walked to the backdoor and pulled the handle, the door refusing to open because it was locked, as I always have left it. So how did someone enter? Did they just have a key?

I've never given anyone my house or car keys.

"This is so creepy..." I said with a groan, looking around the place for anything suspicious. Cameras, to be exact.

"Cameras..." I whispered, my eyes widening in realization. "I installed cameras by my front and back doors when I first moved in!"

God, I hope they still work. It's been years since I last checked on them. I went upstairs and retrieved my laptop, remembering that it was the only device they were connected to. After a few clicks on it, I fortunately managed to get all of the footage until this very moment. I rewinded back to yesterday night and watched. It was in infrared mode so I probably wouldn't be able to see anything too clearly.

Waiting, I watched carefully. There was no suspicious activity yet. There were a few cars driving past and just a couple of people running by to get away from the rain but nobody stepped near my gate. The camera by the back door was no different. The only movement there was the trees dancing in the wind.

Realizing that nothing was showing up, I tapped on my laptop to turn off the video when I caught a glimpse of a very strange figure in the distance. The first thing that caught my attention were it's eyes. I couldn't see their true colour because of the black and white camera mode but they were bright, almost like the headlights of a car but much smaller in size.

I squinted my eyes and zoomed into it after pausing the video. I could just briefly see the outline of it's body. It was on all fours but was still massive. I could see this because it was the exact height as the street light it was standing next to, and that light was two meters long. If that's how tall it is hunched over, lord knows how tall it is standing on it's two legs only. 

I couldn't see if it had fur or not, but I could see five sharp claws on each 'paw' and it had a long tail that seemed to have sharp spikes of some sort. My eyes widened as I finally processed this. I'm certain that I would've known if that was inside my house. Maybe while searching for an intruder, I found something even better.

A new mammal species? Reptile? Supernatural or paranormal entity? Ancient beast? The list went on and on with possiblities. I quickly saved last night's footage and sent it to my phone. I didn't want to lose this, it was too big of a deal to lose.

I need to call Mr Hughes urgently but I don't have his contact information. I never thought I would ever need it. The one person who does have it is the last person I want to speak to.