Chapter thirteen: guilt

"Coming!" A woman called out when I knocked. I shoved my hands back into my pockets, feeling cold. The rain had wet me while I was outside, so much that I was shaking a little bit. My clothes were partially soaked, making me want to rip them off my body.

The door was yanked open and a woman that was about the same height as me faced me. She had blonde hair that was tied up into a messy bun and had a blue scrunchie around it. She was wearing a pink shirt and blue jeans, a white apron tied up from around her neck. She was wearing brown slippers, the colour being the same dark brown her small eyes had.

"You must be Akielia. I thought you weren't coming anymore." She said with a tone I could not understand. It certainly was not happy or excited. I nodded, "I was working. Sorry for the wait."

I waited for her to tell me to come inside but she just turned on her heels and walked away. I shrugged and picked up my suitcase, following her. Entering, I could smell a lot of things at once. There was an incense stick burning in the living room that I was standing in, a vanilla scented candle burning right next to it, a pie or cake was baking in her oven and I could smell a stew of some sort.

I could feel my nose getting confused.

The home was lovely above all. It was mostly grey and white, with small details of light brown in certain areas. It was comfortable and modern, and so warm. For an apartment, it sure felt like home.

"Please take off your shoes. That mat is very expensive." The woman said, making me stop looking around the place and look down at my feet. My shoes were wet but they weren't muddy, so I wasn't dirtying her grey fur mat but I took them off anyways, since I wasn't supposed to be wearing them in someone's house. I picked the shoes up and stood on my socks, looking at her to see if she was happy. She nodded at me and turned to walk away, disappearing around the corner.

"I made beef stew and some apple pie. What would you like to have?" She asked me from where I assumed was the kitchen.

"Apple pie, if you don't mind." I answered her.

"Well, it will not be ready for the next ten minutes. Let me show you around in the meantime." She said, appearing from the kitchen with her apron off. This time, I could see her perfectly. She had large round breasts underneath that shirt and when she turned, I expected her to have a big butt too but it was flat.

I thought that Damien was an ass guy... Otherwise, why did he keep touching mine?

"As long as they are happy." I whispered, shaking my head.

I followed her and she showed me the bathroom, the room I would be using and the small library they had. That was basically it. She didn't show me where they slept or Damien's office, probably not trusting me to be alone with him. She left me in my temporary bedroom and went to take out her pie.

After a while of me unpacking she called out to me, "Pie is ready!"

I walked out of the room dressed in my soft baby blue pajamas. I wanted to go straight to bed after eating. We went to the dining room and sat down around a small circular table with four chairs. I sat across her and thanked her for the pie. It smelt great.

I picked up a fork and dug in, with her doing the same. It was really awkward, but better than what I had expected. She wasn't the nicest, but I wouldn't be nice to me if I were in her position.

"I'm Sarah, by the way." She said, biting into the pie. I nodded at this, she already knew my name so I didn't tell her anything.

"Is he really at work?" She asked me, putting her fork down. I looked up at her in confusion. Where else would he be at this time of the night?