Chapter twelve: "are you human?"

"He's not human, is he?"

I picked up the remote and opened the wall. I wanted to ask Sei that and hear his response. Maybe, if he decided to lie, I would be able to see through it. Or maybe, he would tell the truth.

Just as I suspected, his pale skin was back along with his longer greyish blue hair. I saw him shirtless and in black boxers. He was sitting on the floor with his back against the side of the bed, his head thrown back.

"Sei." I called him, stepping closer to the wall. He snapped his head up and looked at me with shocked eyes. Looks like he hadn't heard me entering after all.

"Scientist..." He said softly, brushing through his soft curls with his fingers, trying to push them back. "You here? Why?"

"I was supposed to receive some results, I'll be leaving in a few minutes." I told him, "who were you talking to?"

"H-huh?" He asked, looking like a deer caught in headlights. He was genuinely confused about me being here and even more shocked that I had heard him talking.

"Who were you talking to? I heard you."

"O-oh, Sei just talking to Sei." He said, laughing softly. He looked down and crossed his legs. "Sei didn't mean to scare scientist."

"You didn't scare me. I just thought that you weren't okay." I explained to him. He nodded, shyly looking up at me through his long eyelashes.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Yes," he agreed, lifting his head up and tilting it.

"Are you human?"

"No." He simply answered, like it was common sense. There was silence between us for a few seconds, no one talking.

"And you didn't think to tell me!" I asked him in bewilderment. He pouted his lips and looked down again, his hair falling on his face and blocking me from seeing him.

"Sorry..." He said in a sad whisper.

Oh please don't do that, now I feel bad.

I sighed deeply and lifted the glass wall up, making my way to him. He wasn't chained up but he didn't seem like much danger at the moment. In fact, he looked scared of me. I sat down next to him on the floor, respectfully keeping my distance although, a part of me wanted to close that distance.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I just wish you let me know sooner." I explained, looking at him.

"Sei couldn't, plan would be ruined." He mumbled.

"Plan? What plan?" I asked him, making him look up at me. To my surprise, he shifted closer and laid his head on my shoulder, once again fiddling with my clothes. It was my lab coat this time, he was playing with the buttons. He deeply inhaled, sighing softly afterwards. "Roses," he whispered, making my breath hitch. He was smelling me.

"There's a lot of things I need to ask you, Sei. I just never get time to do so." I told him.

"Tomorrow, there will be time." He answered, closing his eyes.

Why tomorrow? He did mention something about going somewhere tomorrow. Was he planning to escape?

"They'll catch you..." I told him, staring into nothing. "Don't escape."

He didn't tell me that he was escaping, but I needed to warn him just in case he wanted to try.

He laughed quietly at my statement, lifting his head up from my shoulder and looking into my eyes. I didn't feel weird or uncomfortable near him. It was like I wanted to be close to him. There was a comfort I felt near him, a type of warmth that engulfed my body.