Chapter fifty eight: pain

"You know, I have you to thank for all of this. I would have never been able to enter through the borders if you hadn't done what you did." She said, her milky eyes glimmering as she grew excited.

I stood in front of her, glaring at her. Everyone had retreated at Alexander's command. They were standing in the trees, waiting to help if I ever needed it. Daffodil was rising up to the clouds behind Precious. I kept my eyes on Precious, making sure to speak to her so she wouldn't notice what was happening around her.

"You can still surrender, Precious. It doesn't have to end like this." I told her. I knew that it was too late to get through to her, but I needed to give Daffodil some time. I glanced up at her. She lifted her hands over her head, channeling some magic into a ball between them.

"You know, I really liked you." Precious added, completely ignoring my previous statement. I watched her cautiously as she slowly stepped closer to me.

"Such a bright, intricate young lady. One full of courage. For you to just jump into
such a world and make it your own is truly remarkable."

She spun in a circle and slid closer, lifting her hand up. "Such a shame that I must end your silly little life."

Before I could react on time, Precious waved her hand in the air, causing a massive bolt of lightning to shoot right in my direction. It was hot even as it wasn't touching my skin and it made a scary crackling noise as it moved to me.

I cowered away, my eyes clamping shut as I braced for impact. I heard a loud crack and something heavy fall on the ground in front of me. My eyes opened and I screamed in horror, finding the last person I expected to see on the ground, his body shaking rapidly.

"Silas!" I screamed, falling on my knees next to him. He was shaking, his teeth tightly gritted together as he wrapped his arms around his body.

"Please tell me that you're okay. Please!" I begged him, wrapping my arms around him. He was sweating, and the shaking was rapid. He opened his mouth, his words coming out in broken syllables.

"I- I he-heard... every... thing. The... the plan. Do it." He forced out, laying his head on my lap. Tears were flowing uncontrollably down my eyes. All I wanted to do was to scream for someone to help him. To take all of the pain away from him.

"We can't... It's not safe for you. Please." I begged him, looking around. Alexander was too occupied to even help Silas. He was busy trying to hold Sei down from coming over to attack Silas. He growled angrily as he thrashed against the floor, struggling against a bunch of vampires holding him down.

The rest of the creatures made no move. No one had instructed them to do anything, so they could only watch.

"T-there is only one- one shot at this... Please." Silas said, tears rolling down his cheeks. I wiped them off him and wrapped my arms around his body, holding him tightly.

Precious laughed in front of me, "Aw! Little lover boy risked his life for you? What ever shall you do?"

"Akielia! I can't hold it anymore!" Daffodil screamed above us. I looked up and even through my blurry vision, I could see the massive ball of energy that was hovering over Daffodil. She held it over her head, her arms trembling at it's power. Precious looked up too, surprised at what was happening above her this whole time.

"Daffodil! You traitor!" She hissed.

"Do it, please." Silas begged me. I shook my head, refusing to listen. I didn't want Silas to die. I knew that this would kill him too.

"Please, please..." He whispered. "It will be okay afterward... The pain will end."

"No," I sobbed, "no, there has to be another way. If we could just distract her and figure it out."

He shook his head, holding my hand tightly. "You know there is no other way."

I sobbed harder at the realization that he was right. It had to happen like this. It had to end like this.

His trembling hand stroked my cheek, "Do it... And know I will always love you... Even if our bond was not real." He whispered. I clung onto him tightly, my tears wetting his hair as I buried my face in it. I inhaled his scent deeply before pulling away and shouting at Daffodil to do it.

With all the strength that she had, she pushed the ball of magic to us, it's pale yellow nearly blinding me. I didn't fail to see Precious trying to make her escape, but the ball consumed her as she was about to fly off and I could hear her screaming in what sounded like pain and misery.

I closed my eyes when I saw it come closer, it's force sucking me into it like a vacuum. I screamed as I felt myself being pulled away from Silas. The world seemed to be spinning at that moment, but I knew that I was inside the ball. I was floating, feeling like I was in the sky. Even as my eyes remained closed, I could see the light through my lids.

Precious' screaming stopped, leaving me in a deafening silence. Just when I was about to open my eyes, I felt a sudden pain searing through my body, like someone had shoved daggers through every part of my body. It was now my turn to scream as pain consumed me. I could feel my body burning up as Precious' power consumed me and became my own.

I was in pain... I felt like I was dying.

I opened my mouth to say something, but all I could do was scream and cry. My own tears were even painful on my skin as they rolled down my face. My eyes stung, my nose burnt and my throat dried up.

Still, I did not stop screaming.

I don't know how long it took for the pain to finally end. When it did, I was roughly thrown to the ground, the bright light disappearing as if it were not even there in the first place. White noise filled my ears, sounding like an endless static and I laid still on whatever cold surface I was on... I think it was cold, my body was giving up on me.

I felt pressure on my face, my cheeks specifically. They were being held tightly by something warm and roughly textured. "What...! Why is she...? She's dying!" I could not hear everything he was saying, but I could hear and almost feel the distress in his voice.

Alexander, is that you?

I weakly tried to lift my hand, only managing to move my fingers. I thought having power was meant to strengthen you, not kill you. It was supposed to be a blessing or a beautiful curse. 

"I'm sorry..." I heard a female voice. "She insisted... couldn't stop her."

Daisy... No, Daf - I don't remember. I think she was named after a flower.

Breathing was harder at this point. My heart was giving out on me and it hurt. My whole body hurt. I felt another movement against my forehead, pushing my hair back. I could not even respond.

I couldn't even tell Alexander that I loved him.

"You did it..." Alexander whispered in my ear. I felt something warm on my lips, like I was being kissed. I desperately wanted to kiss him back, to tell him that it will all be okay, but I couldn't. I didn't have the strength to do so.

"Rest, darling. I love you and I will see you soon."

That was the last thing I heard before it all went quiet.

One chapter left! Thank you for sticking around for so long!