Chapter thirty: shifting

When I woke up again, I woke up to loud and angry shouting. The sound was enough to give me a small headache. Sitting up on the soft surface I was laying on, I pressed my shaking hand on my forehead.

"HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HER, MOTHER!?"

I grimaced as Silas' voice boomed throughout the whole mansion. I had no doubt that everyone could hear him at that moment but I was too tired to even care.

This place is too intense for my human self.

I stood up from the bed, finding myself in a pair of loose shorts and a hoodie. I slowly walked to the door and out of the twins' room, stopping in my tracks when I saw the two men hovering over their mother. Sei was staring at his mother with hate in his eyes, his arms crossed tightly. Silas' eyes were a dark shade of red as he screamed at her, his hands balled up into fists.

"SHE SLEPT WITH GOLIATH!" Their mother screamed back, making me stare at her in shock. I was about to make my presence known when Silas defended me.

"BULL! SHE WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO US. SHE LOVES US!"

"SHE DOESN'T! GOLIATH LEFT ME AT NIGHT TO SLEEP WITH HER!"

"STOP LYING!" Silas snarled lividly. He looked like he was about to explode out of rage.

Sofia clenched her teeth and looked away from her son, facing me. Her own eyes darkened at the sight of me, making me shudder lightly. I could still feel my back aching because of her.  I thought I had enough worrying to do about Alexander but it seems like I'm a target to her as well.

Sei looked at me too, his hard gaze softening when his eyes met mine. He made his way to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me to his chest.

"Just leave us, mother." I heard Silas say tiredly. I closed my eyes when I heard the strain in his voice as he spoke. He was clearly worried sick about me. I wish I could do something to take his worry away.

"Twins..." Sofia said softly. "There's a meeting in the evening."

"We don't care about it." Silas growled, stomping away from his mother and towards me.

"No, no, no. You have to go. It's not up for discussion. If you want to be kings..."

"Does it look like we care about being kings right now? Our soulmate has been injured by our own mother because she thought that she was sleeping with our father. On top of all, a bloody vampire bit her! I have much more important things to do." Silas said. I flinched at the mentioning of being bitten by a vampire and Sei felt it. He looked down at me, his eyes darkening. I quickly looked away, biting my lip as I thought of an excuse.

"Do not even think of lying to Sei." He whispered harshly. I nodded quickly, burying my face on his shirt. I really needed to think of something to tell them. Goliath made it clear that I needed to lie for their own sake.

"Silas, this meeting is far too important to ignore. All of the leaders will be there to see if you are worthy to recieve the throne. By the end of today, only five of you will be candidates for the position. If you don't show up, you'll be removed by default."

"We don't care."

"At least one of you must show up! Please my sons, I'm begging you. Don't let this girl stop you from reaching your dreams. Don't let her stop you from ruling over the island." She pleaded with them. I looked back at her, finding her on her knees with her hands clasped together.

Silas pursed his lips together as he stared down at his mother. With a sigh of defeat, he nodded, agreeing to go. Sofia smiled and quickly stood up, reaching to hug Silas but he held his hand out and shook his head. "Just leave." He hissed, walking away from her.