Chapter ten: frustration

Damien and I walked to the cafeteria, the place seeming to be busier than it usually was. Everyone had shifts that ended at completely different hours of the day, which made the lunch hall empty for most of the day. Today it was like more than half the people that worked here had come down for lunch.

"What's going on?" I asked Damien as I skimmed over today's menu. Oh! Sushi and hotpot dumplings.

People made way for us as we walked by because Damien had to be the most important person in the hall as a Head Scientist. With him, I even got to cut through the long line and order first. I got those delicious hotpot dumplings and some crispy and tangy pork ribs with extra marinade. I was starving, but when have I never been hungry?

Damien got a chicken strip salad, grilled chicken and a bun with sesame seeds sprinkled on it. He also took a peach. We walked through the cafeteria in search of a good place to sit and we spotted Mica and Sharlene sitting together and laughing about something. Damien started walking to them with me following behind. I haven't seen them in a while. Now I knew why, they were busy doing the nasty behind closed doors.

"Hey guys," The Head Scientist greeted, making them both greet back. I also greeted, looking straight at Sharlene. She couldn't even make eye contact with me and that irritated me. This isn't highschool for heaven's sake.

"Heyyyy, long time no see, stranger." Mica said to me. I literally saw him two days ago.

"I wonder why." I said, looking between him and Sharlene with a smirk. He looked a bit confused at that but kept his mouth shut. The others started making conversation while I simply devoured the amazing meal in front of me. The dumplings were so warm and soft and they had beef inside that just melted right in my mouth. I closed my eyes and tried to enjoy this moment between me and the dumplings as much as I could, while listening to the others talk.

"It's pretty rare for all of us to be gathered here like this." Sharlene finally spoke, "I wonder what the special occasion is."

"I know right? I haven't seen Becky in three months. I thought she was dead or something yet there she is..." Mica said.

"... looking dead." Damien finished his sentence, making all of us burst out into laughter. How rude! I opened my eyes and slapped his arm since I was sitting next to him, making him gently nudge me with his elbow. We smiled at each other and quickly turned our attention back to the others. Look into his eyes long enough, and you'll fall in love.

I stared at Sharlene, noticing that she was staring between me and Damien with a blank expression. She picked up her banana and peeled it, looking straight at Damien. I looked away, pretending like I was talking to Mica by asking him about his day. At the corner of my eye, I could see her dipping the banana in plain yoghurt and then putting the whole thing in her mouth.

She didn't bite the banana, she took it in as it was, slowly going deeper down her throat. Her eyes were only on Damien as she did this, making me realize that she was flirting with him. Damien smirked at her, to my surprise, and picked up his peach, licking it seductively.

Are you kidding me?

I immediately lost my appetite, also feeling bad for Mica and Damien's fiancé. I thought things were going good between Mica and Sharlene. Why would she sleep with him just to flirt with Damien... Oh and Damien, I thought he stopped all of this and decided to focus on his fiancé. Turns out that he didn't stop, he just stopped doing it with me.

Are there more women in this building he's been sleeping with?

"May I have your attention, everyone." A voice spoke through a microphone, making everyone quieten down and turn to the source of the sound. Of course, who else would it be but him?