Chapter fifty six: mates

I ran to Daffodil, who was hovering over Sharlene and Melissa. If this was not such a serious situation, I would have stopped and laughed at the scene in front of me.

Sharlene and Melissa were in matching tight blue dresses that had pink floral designs on them. Sharlene's dress had ridden up her legs and it looked like a shirt, exposing her black underwear for the whole island to see. Melissa's dress was torn around the shoulder area, her high heels had snapped and were laying a few feet away from her.

How did they end up like this when Daffodil wasn't even touching them?

A roar of thunder made me squeak in surprise, capturing the women's attention. Daffodil looked surprised to see me, but she quickly masked her expression.

"Akielia! So glad you joined the party! I was starting to think you were dead." The fairy said, a smile forming on her face.

"Daffodil, looking as lovely as I last saw you." I wasn't lying. Her blonde hot-crossed bun was still neatly done and her straight yellow dress had no creases whatsoever. She looked like she had recently gotten dressed.

"Aw, thank you, doll. I try my best." She said, waving her hand at me shyly to dismiss my compliment. "Now that you have arrived, I see no need to involve these promiscuous ladies in our conversation."

With a simple snap of her fingers, gold-coloured glitter seemed to surround the two other girls and they both screamed when they started floating. "Don't worry, it was all a dream. You are both safe in your beds, back on Earth." She sang to them in a soft voice. I watched as Sharlene and Melissa vanished, only a million tiny dots of glitter taking their place and falling on the ground.

Did she just...

"They are fine. It will be like none of this ever happened." She said.

That's strange, Silas told me that fairies were only born to deal with nature. How is she able to teleport people to different places?

"Precious gave me some of her power as a token of her appreciation that I exist." She said proudly.

Gave her? As in, she could just hand over her powers to someone else?

"How did she do that?" I asked, trying not to seem too interested in the answer.

Daffodil saw right through me and crossed her arms, hovering lower until her feet touched the ground. "You think I'm stupid? That I'll just tell you something like that?"

"Daffodil, we can still end this. You can still make things right by doing the right thing." I pleaded with her. She frowned at me, crossing her arms.

"Right thing? Nothing about this island is right. It will only ever be right when Precious says it is!" She yelled at me, smiling at the idea of the old lady having full control of Lunaria.

"Precious is manipulating you! That's what she's been doing to everyone this whole time. She's lied to all of us to have her way. What makes you so special?"

Daffodil shook her head at my words. She placed a hand over her heart. "She raised me... She's my mother. You would never turn against your mother, right? Even if everything she does looks bad... You still love her because she is your mother."

I gave her a sad smile as I thought back to my mother, one that didn't love or care about me. It was true that still after all those years of feeling hurt that she basically disowned me, I wanted nothing more than to see both her and my father stare at me with pride and tell me that they love me.

"I will never stop loving the woman that gave birth to me. I am grateful that although she hated me, she gave me a chance at life and allowed me to grow... Even if it was alone. But I would never stay and be alright with her doing this. Using my yearning for love and the twins' desire to find a mate against us. Manipulating me to poison Sei!"

"Poison? She never did that. Mother would never poison anyone. We healed him. We freed him from the potion Silas cast on him." Daffodil defended.

Was she stupid or was she doing this on purpose?

"You mean to tell me that she never told you that you helped her create a potion that made Sei want to kill Silas?"

"It was a cure... I was there with her." The fairy said, her confidence wavering.

I see, she doesn't like it when she's accused of something.

"You helped your so-called 'mother' create a potion that kills, not cures."

"I... I didn't... That's wrong.. she wouldn't."

"You did. You both did. If you help me end this. I promise I will ensure your safety on this Island for the rest of your life. Here you will be with people who will love you for real."

I smiled when she looked down, her eyes closed shut as she contemplated on what to do. I clenched and unclenched my fists anxiously. This would be a great time to pounce on her and stab her... But what if she agrees to help and becomes a great asset to us?

She looked up and shook her head. "No, I'm not like you. I don't believe everything strangers say about my family and chose to turn against them." She lifted her hand, golden sparkles and glitters appearing on it. "It was nice to meet you, but I must kill you now so I can help mother."

I shook my head at her, preparing to move away when someone spoke behind me. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Huh?

"I haven't made a promise in over a hundred years but I'm promising you this, if you harm one hair on her head, I will end you and I will do so smiling while I bathe in your blood." The voice snarled. I quickly spun around when I immediately realized that it was Sei speaking. My eyes watered when I saw him standing there. It felt like forever since I saw him... Sure, he wasn't exactly like the old Sei. He wasn't shy and his English wasn't all clumsy... But it was still Sei, and he was right there in front of me.

I hugged him tightly, feeling tears pricking my eyes. He didn't say anything to me. He didn't even hug me back. He was just frozen in place and I felt my heart sink at that.

Hell, I knew that he wasn't my mate, but did he have to be so bitter and leave me hanging like that?

"Mate?" Sei whispered, but I heard him. I shook my head sadly, "Not anymore, Sei. Our bond wasn't real." I looked up at him, feeling confused when I saw that his eyes were focused on one person.

No... Fate isn't that cruel.

"That can't be true..." I whispered to him, holding him tighter. It's a mistake. It has to be. Precious did this. It's all a part of her plan.

"Mate?" Sei asked her again. Daffodil's lips slightly parted open, her wings closing behind her back as she landed on the ground.

"Mate?" She whispered. "You're my mate?"

No...

Not him and YOU!

WHY YOU?

Sei gently nudged me off him and slowly walked towards the fairy. She also stepped closer, leaning into him when he lifted his hands up to hold her face. I watched silently and stressfully as Sei took a deep breath, as if touching her shot a thousand volts of electricity through his masculine build.

"It is true..." Daffodil whispered, staring longingly into his eyes. This wasn't supposed to happen. Sei is supposed to be tearing out her wings and tossing her aside to finish Precious off, not finding a bond with her!

"But mother said that I am not destined to be with anyone after my ex hurt me." Daffodil mumbled to herself. Her eyes darkened as realization finally dawned upon her. "She lied to me..."

She hissed and turned to look at me sharply. "I'll help you stop her."