34: She Knows

"I'm waiting," Jewls says to Esmerelda impatiently.

"Okay... I did meet up with Mr.Dorzen in New York," Esmerelda admits.

"My gosh! What happened?!"

"Nothing! I swear!" Esmerelda feels her eyes begin to tear up, not of sadness that her sister found out, but of fear of what her sister would do with the info.

"Did you kiss him?!" Jewls exclaims.

Esmerelda looks down in silence and mutters, "Yes."

"And you say nothing happened?!"

"I mean nothing more happened!" Esmerelda exclaims, but tries not to be too loud.

"Esmerelda when did you become this girl?" Jewls says no longer angry, but disappointed.

"What girl?" Esmerelda asks.

"A..." Jewls hesitates.

"What were you gonna say?"

"Nothing forget it..." Jewls sighs.

"No say it!" Esmerelda demands.

"A slut!" Jewls outbursts.

Esmerelda backs away in shock. "Seriously?"

"Well what did you expect me to say," Jewls responds.

"I don't know, I thought no matter what happens you'd always have my back," Esmerelda says.

"I do but when something like this happens I don't know what to do," Jewls says.

"Is that really what you think of me?" Esmerelda says small.

"Of course not, but you gotta stop," Jewls says.

"What?" Esmerelda asks in horror.

"I said it needs to stop!"

"I can't do that," Esmerelda runs her hands through her hair nervously with a tear running down her cheek.

Jewls smacks Esmerelda across the face and yells, "Pull yourself together!"

Esmerelda places her hand on her cheek and more tears run down her face, but she stays silent.

Jewls' anger changes to regret and she begins to cry, but she stays strong and doesn't apologize. Instead she runs out of the closet and tries to wipe away her tears before anyone notices. Of course everyone notices, but as she picks up her flute no one says anything.

Mr.Dorzen walks up to Jewls who is playing her flute. She completely ignores that he's even there until he clears his throat and says, "Hey do you know where Esm-"

"Save it!" Jewls snaps. She gives one quick glance back to the closet and then goes back to playing her flute.

Mr.Dorzen takes her silence as an answer and walks over to the closet. As soon as he opens the door he hears sniffling. Esmerelda is sitting on the floor with her knees in her chest. "Esmerelda?" He quickly closes the door behind him and flies to her side. "What happened?"

Esmerelda tries to suck up her tears and stay strong, but her sister's words echo through her head as if she was hearing them for the first time, Slut! It needs to stop! "Dimitri you need to leave."

"I'm not leaving your side," Mr.Dorzen wraps his arms around her, "Tell me what's wrong?"

"This!" And with that she picks herself up and runs out of the closet. She takes one glance at Jewls and then out of the classroom.

Mr.Dorzen stands in the closet alone with a huge hole in his gut. He almost thinks of running after her, but everyone would see him do so and he doesn't want to make it obvious. In an instance his phone sends out a beep, Hey we need to seriously talk. I'm leaving the school now, I'm gonna sign myself out. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you this in person, but she knows. -Essie