47: The End?

"How long have I been here?" Esmerelda asks herself roaming in the darkness. "Dimitri?"

There's a voice in the distance, but she can just barely make it out. It sounds like two or three voices. Esmerelda begins to run to the voices with hope in her heart, "Hello?! Jewls? Mom? Dad?!"

"She's still unresponsive," Esmerelda hears an unfamiliar voice say.

"What does that mean?" She hears her mother's shaky voice and is quickly able to identify it.

"She is stable, which is a good sign and remarkably she has no permanent brain damage."

"She's been in a coma for two weeks," her mother sobs, "Is she going to wake up?"

"Yes, she should. We are in the waiting part. It's all on her now."

Coma? The word hits Esmerelda like a ton of bricks. "I'm in a coma?!" She screams. After, she begins to hyperventilate.

"How is she?" The voice calms her down instantly. Dimitri.

"She's the same," Jewls says furiously. "Now we're waiting for her I guess."

"What are you doing here?" Esmerelda's dad's voice comes out of nowhere.

"Oh no!" Essie yells. "Dimitri is dead."

"I'm here to see Esmerelda," Dimitri answers.

"My daughter is none of your concern," Mr.Heyward says defiantly.

"Actually, she is, sir," Dimitri sighs. Esmerelda feels her heart bang against her chest and her stomach ache. Dimitri, what are you doing?! She thinks to herself.

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

"Hank, calm down," Mrs.Heyward says calmly, "Let him explain himself. You might want to sit down."

"What? You know about this?" Hank asks.

There's a silence that falls upon them and Esmerelda can only imagine the tension that is in the room. "I gotta get out of here."

"Mr.Heyward I have been spending time with your daughter," Dimitri says as calmly as possible.

"Excuse me?" Hank asks angrily.

"We've been together... outside of the classroom," Dimitri sighs.

"You what?!" Hank hops out of the chair and charges for Dimitri.

Mrs.Heyward steps in front of Hank and yells, "Hank! Listen to him."

"Maria, you can't be serious right now! You are going to let a teacher tell us how he's been spending time with our daughter, his student!"

"She is not his student, he's an assistant teacher," Mrs.Heyward explains, "He's just a college kid."

"He's not a kid, he's a full grown man and he knows that he's not allowed to be alone with a student, whether he's a full teacher or assistant," Hank says.

"Please, just listen to him," she begs.

"Mr. Heyward, I had no intention whatsoever of liking your daughter, or any student for that matter, but I did. Didn't you ever have that moment when you saw someone and you just couldn't take your eyes off them? That person who made you heart beat faster when they around?"

Mr. Heyward crosses his arm and huffs skeptically.

"Well that's how I felt about your daughter, how I feel about your daughter," Esmerelda feels her heart melt, "It's not puppy love either. I, genuinely, have been putting your daughter's best interest first."