44: Our Song

~Short chapter alert~ Since this is Esmerelda's chapter it is very short, but don't worry Esmerelda will have longer chapters in the very near future :) thanks for still being here and for voting/commenting. It means a lot and I love feedback and if you have any suggestions for where you want this story to go, stick it in a comment or send it to me in a message, I'd love to hear my reader's ideas. Enjoy!

"Dimitri, you're back," Esmerelda says when she feels Dimitri's hand grab hers. "I wish I could see your face right now, but it's so damn dark!"

"I know, I wish I could see you too," he says as his hand cups her face.

She lays her face deeper into his hand, "How long have I been here?"

"I don't know, but it's too damn long. I need you in my arms and in the light where I can see you," Dimitri says.

"Well I can give you one thing right now," she throws her arms around him and he wraps his arms around her and squeezes her tight.

"Hey, I've got something for you," he lets go slowly almost not wanting to ever let go.

"I hope it's not some type of picture because I can't see it," Esmerelda laughs waiting excitedly.

A loud hum comes from Dimitri and a melody begins to form. Esmerelda recognizes it right away. Oh my gosh, she thinks to herself as her heart melts. "You there?" Dimitri asks.

"Yes," she says instantly.

"You're kinda quiet," he smirks.

"I'm speechless," she says as her eyes grow glossy, "It's our song."

Esmerelda begins to sing:
                     "He says, I've got to hold on to what we've got
                     It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
                     We've got each other and that's a lot for love
                      We'll give it a shot..."
Dimitri continues to sing and Esmerelda stays quiet enjoying the lyrics. When he gets to a cello solo she says, "I'll always hold on and when I get out of here we will give it a shot publicly!"

Dimitri comes to an end and asks, "What are you saying?"

"I want to tell my parents," Esmerelda says nervously.

"But Esmerelda-"

"I'm serious Dimitri," she reaches out for him and finds him standing up. "I want this."

"I could be arrested," Dimitri grabs the sides of her shoulders.

"I just want my parents to know," Esmerelda says, "I just hate lying to them."

"I know you do and I feel awful making you have to do that, but what if they tell the police?" His hands drop from her shoulders.

"All they want is for me to be honest with them. And when they see how happy I am..." Esmerelda trails off feeling an distressed silence coming from Dimitri. "Don't you want this?" She grabs his hand softly.

"Of course, you know I do," he says quickly, giving her hand a squeeze.

"Well then why can't I tell my parents?"

"Esmerelda it's not that easy," he sighs rubbing the top of her hand with his thumb, "I'm not your regular boyfriend. I'm your teacher."

"Stop that," Esmerelda pulls her hand out of his.

"Stop what?"

"Stop talking to me like I'm a child," she says angrily, "I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions."

"Not when it involves the destruction of others," Dimitri says, "This is not a meeting the parents or Facebook relationship status change. This is my life and frankly your decision seems very foolish."

"Foolish?" Esmerelda asks feeling frustration wash over her.

"Yes, it is. If we got caught I'd go to prison and you'd get a warning and maybe a fine. Do you see how my paranoia is maybe just a safe decision?"

Esmerelda stands quietly biting down on her tongue. He's right. I wouldn't get a quarter of the punishment he'd get. "Just go."

"What?"

"Leave. I don't want to see you right now," she says coldly.

"As you wish," silence pours over Esmerelda and she realizes that she is utterly alone.

"Dimitri would never go that easily," she says out loud to herself. "Did I really upset him? Did I just ruin my entire love life because of a teenage girl problem? Great job Esmerelda! We need to get out of here and fix everything." She begins to walk straight with her hands out in front of her, hoping to find a wall that will lead to a door of some sorts. "Now where to start?"