36: What To Do...

"Hey cutie," Mason calls to Jewls as she walks out of the building.

Jewls walks past him in silence with her head down.

Mason runs up behind Jewls and then says, "Hey hey hey Jewls," he stands infront of Jewls and puts his hands on her shoulders, "Jewls look at me."

Jewls looks up at him and tears are running down her face.

"What happened? Did I do something wrong?" Mason asks with worry in his eyes.

"No," with that she pushes past him and continues a beeline to her bus.

"Jewls!" Mason pulls her back to him, "What is wrong?! You have to tell me, I'm here for you Jewls."

"You can't be here for me on this one," Jewls says.

"Just tell me Jewls," Mason says, "Why are you always so guarded with your secrets?"

"Because I am," she says angrily not giving Mason any eye contact, "And plus it's not my secret to guard this time."

"Wait what do you mean?" He says.

"I don't wanna talk about it. I'm goin home."

"Hey Jewls come sit next to me," Isaac says with an empty seat on the bus next to him.

"No thanks," Jewls waves politely and decides to sit at the front on the school public bus she took home every time Esmerelda couldn't drive her home, which was very rare.

Jewls watches as her bus stop is slowly approaching. She reaches for the signal string, but in an instance pulls her hand away. She look down at the ground as the bus passes her bus stop. "Hey Jewls isn't that your bus stop?" Isaac calls to her.

"What?" Jewls asks playing dumb, "Oh yeah I know, I'm goin to... My cousin's house."

Isaac knows that she is lying, but decides not to comment on it. A few more stops go by and Isaac pulls the signal string for his stop. The bus pulls up to his stop and as we walks up to the front he stops next to her and whispers, "Jewls you can talk to me about anything. You know you're like my sister!"

"Yeah I know," Jewls bites her lip and adds, "You're like my sister too."

He laughs and walks off the bus waving goodbye.

Jewls no longer knowing what area she is in decides to finally pull the string. She steps off the bus and realizes she's on the other side of her suburban neighborhood.  Her parents have only driven her past here a few times.

She walks down the sidewalk watching the cars pass by. How could she do this to me? What did I do to have my own sister betray me? Why didn't she tell me? How long had this been going on for?

Tears come to her eyes as she thinks about it all. She feels guilt wash over her as she thinks about what she had said to her sister. How could I call my own sister that? Had I even meant it? Of course not!

Jewls begins looking for explanations on why Esmerelda would do such a thing. It's just not like her. What if he is forcing her? What if she's being threatened?!

She lifts up her head and notices she's entered more of the city area of her town. She looks at the buildings from the small pawn shop to a ma&pa diner, to Mr.Dorzen standing infront of an apartment building. Wait Mr.Dorzen?! She quickly turns around and sees Mr.Dorzen with his messenger bag slipping his key into the lock.

As much as she tells herself to go over to him and smack him the face and tell him how illegal it all is, she doesn't. Instead she continues walking.

How can I fix this? Can I even fix it? She thinks. A siren catches her attention and she notices a police car pulling out of the station. She has an epiphany and decides to walk on over to it.

She walks in and already feels in trouble. Men and women with uniforms walk around with coffee in one hand and the other exchanging paperwork. To her right sits about four guys in wrist shackles under a board of missing children ads. To her left are two girls with shackles as well. Above their heads is a billboard that reads "Fun January Activities!"

"Can I help you?" A man asks hoarsely.

 Jewls walks up to the man at the front desk and asks, "I'd like to ask a question about a law, I guess."

"You guess?" The man raises an eyebrow, "And what law is that?"

"That's the thing I don't even know if it's a law," she twiddles her thumb.

"Can't you just google it?"

"I'm sure I could, but I was in the neighborhood and though this'd be easier," Jewls says.

"Really?" He asks skeptically.

"Yes really!"

"Are you getting angry with me?"

"No, I'm not. I'm sorry," she apologizes immediately.

"Okay then, what is it?"

"If a student gets involved with a teacher... how does that all work out?"

"It's not legal if that's what you're asking," he says, "So if you're involved or thinking about becoming involved with a teacher end it!"

"It's not me. It's not anyone I know!" She says, "You're a police officer, aren't you? You're supposed to be on my side. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?"

"I don't apply that to teenagers. All teenagers are guilty until proven innocent."

"You can't do that!" Jewls snaps.

"Who says I can't?"

"The constitution! All men are created equal," she says, "And you, sir, are discriminating!"

"What is going on here?" A low voice calls out.

Jewls stares behind the old man at the desk and a younger officer approaches them.

"She has a question about student teacher relationships," the man at the desk says.

"I got it from here Russel," the officer says to him, "Please follow me."

Jewls follows him into an interrogation room. This one doesn't have the mirror window like in the movies. It just has a simple window less four walls and a metal table in the center.

"Please, sit," the officer gestures to a seat. Jewls sits down and feels nerves run through her veins. She also feels a sense of guilt. "Okay," the officer exhales loudly, "Tell me everything."