Prologue

(Y/N) - Your name

(M/N) - Mother's Name

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     4 years after the death of the King...

"(Y/N)! Come help with the sheep!" A mother called, sitting in a field with a lamb laying next to her and her friend, Audrey tending to its mother.

"I expected her to be by your side this morning." Audrey giggled. "Especially after mama here just gave birth."

"Mr. Wilson and his scouting team found some books for the kids to read and he gave (Y/N) a book about animals. She's been spending all her time reading it." The girl's mother chuckled. "It does help keep her busy while her father and I work."

"Wish I could say the same about my sons. Oh, there she is."

     The mother turned her eyes to the makeshift house near the farms where a small 7-year-old girl hopped down the steps. She slipped on a pair of rubber boots that were two sizes too big for her and darted over once her (e/c) eyes caught sight of the little lamb resting by her mother's side. Not being able to stand yet, only being 20 minutes old.

      The girl's eyes lit up once she reached her mother and reached her hand out to pet the lamb's head but pulled back nervously.

       Her mother's friend chuckled before reassuringly patting the child's arm. "It's ok. You can touch him. But carefully."

      (Y/N) looked from Audrey then to her mother, silently asking for permission to which (M/N) smiled and nodded.

      It took the girl a few seconds to reach out again and slowly place her fingers on the lamb's head, only feeling his soft and still slightly wet coat. The lamb let out a loud call to his mother that made the girl jump back and the older women both giggled. The lamb started to move as it pushed his weight against his legs to try standing up and going to his mother who had come over upon his call.

      (Y/N)'s mother turned back to her curious daughter. "It's ok. Baby's just hungr-"

      But she was cut off by a group of guards rushing past the farming area and toward the front gate where she can hear her husband give orders to guard the gate. Immediately she pulled her daughter closer to her who started to look scared. Both ladies and the child stayed quiet as they all waited for something to happen.

      (Y/N) hugged her mom close. All she could think about was her daddy. What if a demon was at the gate? What if it hurts, daddy?

"You think it's another one, (M/N)?" Audrey whispered. "They shouldn't be coming this far out."

"I don't hear them shooting. Maybe it's nothing." (M/N) whispered back. "I'll go check. You mind watching her for me, Audrey?"

       (Y/N)'s eyes widened as her mother got up. She gripped her long skirt and shook her head no but her mother smiled reassuringly. "I'll be back. I have to make sure daddy and the guards are alright. Stay with Audrey."

     Her daughter reluctantly let her go and went to the other woman instead but she still looked scared.

      She watched her mother go. Following the same paths that all those guards took. All she could think about now was what if her mommy and daddy got hurt.

      Audrey could see how anxious the girl was. She was practically shaking. What child in their community wouldn't be scared though? Their most recent demon attack was last week but only two cows and a chicken got killed.