27. JULIET AND GOODBYES THAT NEVER GET EASIER

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉* * *

June 1978

Emmeline Vance, a member of the Order had managed to gather all of Edgar Bones' letters and notes of the period he had travelled. Together with Moody, she had managed to find a few of the locations by the end of May.

Immediately, Dumbledore decided to send the members away, keeping a fair share of them in case of attacks against which they were to defend themselves and others.

Juliet had to stay to not awaken suspicions. Daphne, because she was pregnant. And, Regulus, because they learned he was presumed dead by the Dark Lord and his followers.

Neither of them was to join the groups or they would put in jeopardy the entirety of the mission.

But, Remus was going to be leaving for South Africa with Pandora, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge and Alastor Moody.

James, Sirius, Dorcas, Emmeline Vance and Frank Longbottom were leaving for South Asia.

And, Peter, Amos, Lily, Marlene and the Prewett twins were leaving for South America.

"Do you have to go?" Juliet muttered, sitting on the bed next to Remus' bag, watching him pack.

He glanced at her while putting his shirt in his bag, before going to sit next to her, holding her hand.

"You know I have to leave. I don't want to leave you either."

"I wish I could come."

He didn't reply. They were going to be separated for an undetermined amount of time, and they were both feeling terrible about it. They had just managed to heal their relationship for a bit and they had to be apart again.

"I love you." He got a hold of her chin, turned her face towards him and kissed her.

"I love you." She whispered with her forehead against his.

They spent a moment like this, taking in each other's presence, trying to remember everything about each other, from the warmth of their presence to the softness of their touch.

They parted when they heard a knock on the door. Peter was standing there, smiling slightly at the couple. He had already said goodbye to his family and came to the Potter's after the latest meeting of the Order so they could all leave together.

"Hey, we're leaving soon." He announced before leaving them alone.

Remus sighed before getting up and zipping up his bag.

"Will you be able to write to me?" She questioned.

"I'm not sure. I'll have to be certain that it's safe." He admitted slowly.

It felt like a breakup. Juliet knew it wasn't but she hated it still. She wondered if Daphne felt the same way.

~

Downstairs, it was quiet. Friends and couples were saying goodbye to each other, no one was feeling joyous.

"Hey, I want you to contact me if anything's remotely wrong. Do you understand?" James walked up to his sister who had just said goodbye to Lily.

"And how will I do that, genius? Even if I will be able to write to you, you can't read." She grimaced at him.

He glared. "Shut up, I can read."

"How do you spell-"

"BUT, maybe you could contact me some other way." He changed the subject, passing his arm around her shoulders.

"Like what? Howlers?" She raised an eyebrow.

"No." He glared, "Patronus."

"Patronus? James, I never learned to do that properly." She pushed his arm off her shoulders and frowned at him.

"Great occasion to learn!" He encouraged with a grin.

Juliet rolled her eyes at him and after a few seconds, she hugged him. James didn't expect it. The last time she initiated a hug was when she found him in the forest after he had missed the train. He hugged back, starting to feel emotional.

"James."

"Yes?"

"Are you crying?"

"No.." He denied.

"Oh, my God." Juliet shook her head at him but still patted his back, comforting him.

"We must leave." Elphias Doge called to the lot of them.

"I love you, stay safe," James told his twin before getting his bag and walking to the door, looking back at her multiple times.

"I love you too." She whispered and was pretty convinced he had read her lips when he smiled.

She knew he didn't feel right about leaving her behind as he had thrown such a big fit after she left, but they both knew this was different and for the greater good.

As her eyes were still fixated on the open front door, she was startled when she was pushed into someone else's embrace.

"Remus." She sighed, starting to feel a lump at the back of her throat.

He was holding her close, one of his hands resting on the back of her shoulder and the other arm around her waist as he buried his face in his neck, inhaling her scent.

"I love you more than life." He muttered to her.

"I love you too, so so much." Juliet teared up, backing away slightly just so she could see him. She cupped his cheeks. "Don't you dare fall back into your bad habits, understood?"

In the month they were able to calmly spend together, he had been going easy on the alcohol and tobacco, since she would always be there, looking like a sad child and he hated to see it. So he was trying to quit.

"I'm not exactly sure where I can find Whiskey in South Africa." He joked.

"Please, promise me. Promise me you'll come back to me safe and sane."

"Oh yes, because that's exactly what you did?" The werewolf raised an eyebrow at her and watched her smile sadly as she caressed his cheek.

"Don't do the same mistakes I did." She was staring at him with soft eyes and he knew he could not refuse her.

"I won't. I promise." He whispered, leaning to kiss her.

Their intimate moment could not last long and they knew it, as they parted full of sorrow. Juliet stood by and watched him pick up his bag, and start to walk back towards the door, his eyes still on his girlfriend.

"Be careful."

"Take care, my beloved." He saluted, smiling softly before he walked out, joining the rest of the Order.

It was silent, but it wasn't long before Juliet, Daphne and Regulus rushed outside to watch their friends fly away on broomsticks. They waved until they were out of sight.

"What now?" Regulus asked.

"Now, you shall follow me to a new home." They turned to see Dumbledore standing behind them.

"Where are we going?" Daphne questioned but received no answer.

The three hurried to pack their belongings, Juliet, of course, made sure not to forget the Horcrux they had buried, and the three disapparated with their old Headmaster, to be relocated once more.

* * *