39. JULIET AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉* * *

December 1978

Juliet waited until it was winter break to make her way to Hogwarts. She told her friends that she needed to discuss something concerning their next step, and she would be back soon.

One thing that she hated was how, despite not expecting her visit, Dumbledore never seemed very surprised to find her in his office.

"To what do I owe the visit, Miss Potter?" She heard him call from behind her.

"Professor. I hope I'm not bothering you whilst you're busy." She greeted.

"Not at all." He assured, walking to his seat. "What is the matter?"

"Professor, what do you know about the Deathly Hallows?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Curiosity. Coincidence." She shrugged nonchalantly.

Dumbledore was silent for a while before he stood and walked over to his bookcase by the stairs. "There was a time, an old friend and myself envisioned ourselves to become invincible Masters of Death who ruled over Muggles for the Greater Good. Cruel dreams they were, really."

Juliet stared curiously. It was the first time she was learning anything at all about him. "You were a Quester."

"Indeed. I sought the Hallows actively."

"Have you ever come close to finding any of them?"

He seemed to breathe in, but not in a sharp way, not nervously. He seemed sad, maybe even disappointed.
She didn't say anything. She just watched him walk over to stand in front of her.

"There's truth in the tales. The three brothers counted in the story were believed to have been the Peverell brothers." Juliet's eyes widened. "Your ancestors. I tracked them down for decades, I was hoping to construct this layered plan that would cause the fall of the evil you're facing currently. The tale was so true, even in the nature of the tragedies that it ensues."

"What happened to you?"

"I came close. I have gotten to two of the three powerful objects." He showed her his wand that she had seen countless times before but that she had never truly paid attention to before then. "I was fit only to possess the meanest of them, the least extraordinary. I was fit to own the Elder Wand, and not to boast of it, and not to kill with it. I was permitted to tame and to use it because I took it, not for gain, but to save others from it."

"My god. It's true then." She stared at the wand in disbelief. The wand she had spent the entire week reading about was right in front of her eyes. "That's why you were titled the greatest wizard of all time. I get it now."