55. JULIET AND OLD WIVES TALES

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉* * *

June 1979

"You know, you could know the gender." Hope told Juliet.

The Tonks family, Remus and Juliet, were all at the Lupins. They were invited over to finish up a few last touches in the nursery, which they did while Lyall played with Nymphadora outside. Lily was also present. She desperately wanted to see the nursery and how her pregnant friend was doing.

"Mum, you mean the old wives' tale?" Remus snickered, setting down next to his girlfriend.

His mother rolled her eyes at him. "No."

"What's an old wives' tale?" Juliet asked cluelessly.

"It's like, these unverified claims that older women pass down to younger ones. Just urban legends." Lily explained.

"What does it have to do with a baby's gender?" Juliet frowned in confusion.

Ted joined the conversation. "I know those. My grandmother was very superstitious. There was one she encouraged every woman in the family to do. It was some sort of garlic test."

Lily gasped. "Oh, I know that one! My mother told my sister about it. If you're able to eat a lot of garlic and not smell like it, it means you're carrying a girl."

"Merlin." Juliet grimaced, looking down at her big bump.

"So, how do you take your garlic?" Remus mocked, receiving a nudge and frown from his girlfriend.

"I heard the basic one that said if you're suffering from extreme nausea and morning sickness, it's a girl." Hope said.

"Oh, yeah, she had that."

Andromeda emerged in the room with a mirror. "When I met Ted's family, his mother told me about another one of those tales. Stare into the mirror for a minute. If your pupils are dilated, it's a boy."

Juliet took the mirror. "These are getting more and more ridiculous."

After a whole minute, everyone stared at Juliet's eyes.

"Yeah, dilated." Ted confirmed.

"So, so far we had, boy, girl, boy. Are we having twins?" The pregnant girl scoffed sarcastically.

"These tales are fun." Andromeda smiled.

"It's probably the whole purpose of it. There's no way people take it seriously. Do they?"