64. JULIET AND THE FEAR OF GRIEF

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉* * *

September 1979

Following Remus' successful idea, the little group was off to test out Juliet's idea.

The entirety of the Order was focused on collecting allies, so while the rest of them were looking amongst brave wizards, Juliet and the Marauders were looking for allies amongst Fantastic Beasts.

Hence, they were off to Romania. Well. Easy to say, the route was long, and they could only fly for so long before they felt too tired to keep going. They stopped in a small motel in Germany, hoping to be well rested for the other half of their journey.

Juliet entered the room she shared with her boyfriend after making sure the three boys were good in the other room, and she saw him sat with a slumped stance. She raised an eyebrow and silently approached him after locking their door.

She got on the bed and hugged him from behind, feeling him instantly relax under her touch and lean on her.

"What is it?" She mumbled to him, leaving a soft kiss on his neck.

"How do you know something is up?" He asked her, kind of avoiding the question.

"Really?" Juliet pulled a face, even though he wasn't looking at her, he could tell exactly what she looked like. "I've been your girlfriend for nearly four years. I've known you for a decade. We have a whole child together. You wanna ask me that again?"

Remus didn't reply, he turned his head to look at her, and Juliet's smug expression fell the second she saw a tear falling down his cheek.

She cupped his face, moving from behind him so she could see him properly and wiped his tears. "What is it? Talk to me, please."

"What will I do if you die?"

Juliet paused, a bit confused, waiting for him to develop.

"Why are you so nonchalant about dying? Everytime anyone mentions it, it's like you're talking about going on a vacation. Why would you even accept it?"

"Because it's something that can happen in the worst case scenario, I can't be crying about it, we're way past that." She tilted her head, thinking it was obvious.

"We shouldn't be past that. Why are you okay with it? I'm not. Don't you get it? You're my everything, I can't breathe when you're not around Juliet."

Juliet's eyes softened, her heart doing the flips it usually did every time Remus was even just a bit sweet with her.

"I know you'll be fine if anything happens to me." She said.

He chuckled bitterly. "Yeah. Right."

"I know you will be, because you're going to promise to put Romy first." She sighed, letting herself slip from the bed and kneeled down in front of him. "Don't let her be an orphan, raise our girl."

"You can't make me choose between you two."

"I'm not making you choose, I'm telling you to choose her. Because I know you'd want me to choose her too."

"That's different, I-"

"How?"

"You can move on and meet someone else! I can't imagine anyone but you!" He raised his voice.

Juliet frowned. She knew this came from his deep insecurities concerning his lycanthropy but insinuating that she would easily move on from him after everything they went through together was very low.

"So it'd be easy for me if you died?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

Just by looking at her serious expression, Remus knew what the answer was. He got out of his self-pity bubble and looked down.

"No."

"Exactly. No." She nodded. "But it doesn't matter. These are just what ifs situations. We will both be fine."

"What if we both die?"

His girlfriend pouted her lips, thinking a bit. "Well, I guess we'll just have to let James raise our baby as best as he can."

"That's a terrible idea." He chuckled.

She laughed with him. "It is."

Remus stared at his girlfriend with whom he'd been in love with for years. "It's nice to hear you laugh again."

She grinned at him, a bit shy, despite being used to his sweet comments. He opened his arms slightly for her and she went and straddled his lap, hugging him tightly.

"Please don't die. I don't want to spend a lifetime remembering you. I don't want to lose you for longer than I've had you." He whispered to her. "You showed me what love should be like. I see you everywhere my eyes dare to wander. If I ever lose you, I don't want to miss the memories we'll never have, I don't want you to be everywhere anymore. Because you'll be everywhere but here."

"You've always been so great at describing everything you feel. I suck at that." She groaned, her voice muffled because of the fabric of his shirt. "I can only promise you to fight with everything in me to stay alive. For you, for our Romy."

"That's good enough for me." The werewolf sighed, finding comfort in her embrace.

There was a pleasant silence before Juliet spoke again. "If we both die, I'll look for you in another life. If this one wasn't enough, I'll look for you in every lifetime."

Remus sometimes wondered if he could develop a heart disease for how hardly it would beat whenever she was around. Whenever she was talking, or laughing, or telling him that she loved him. His heart was all hers alone, only calling her name, he barely dared to call it his own.

"I'll love you in every one of them."

* * *

There's a sentence in one of the last paragraphs that's a quote I read a long time ago (100% not word for word bc my memory isn't that good) and its so so so pretty ill cry if someone talks about me that way