Scene 35- The Marriage She Signed Up For

Juliette doesn't go to play, because when was the last time she did that, but goes to the game room where she knew all of her brothers were. She walks in and sees them sprawled all over the movie chairs and floor each with a colorful controller in their hands.

She asks them, "How come boys make decisions and girls can't?"

All of them were thoroughly confused. Jackson paused the game and Beau got a little pissed at him.

Jackson starts, "What do you mean?"

Juliette walks over to stand in front of them, "Daddy just said that boys are less emotional than girls and that's why they make decisions in the house. And that's why they do the punishing. And they get to touch you whenever they want when they're daddies and husbands and brothers!"

Beau was now interested and frowning, "Why did he say that to you?"

Juliette's face turns red. She looked down at her feet.

"Because I said it wasn't fair that Daddy gets to pat me on my bottom when I told him I don't like it."

They all looked at each other sadly. They didn't know whether they should honor their parents or tell her their opinions.

Gavin, on the couch in front of her, says, "Come here."

He held his arms out to her and she went to hug him and sit on his lap. She began to cry. Gavin rocked her and shushed her.

Beau finally starts to say something to her, "Can you look at me JuJu?"

She looks up with tears in her eyes and down her face. Gavin starts to wipe her tears with his thumb.

Beau continues, "That's how it is in this house, but it's not like that in every house. And whenever the time comes, I hope you find a husband that believes you can make decisions about yourself and your family."

Juliette smiles and nods her head.

Beau continues, "But for now you must honor our parents and your brothers. And for the rest of your life too."

Gavin added to make her feel better, "And part of the reason for that is because you're the youngest and we all know a lot more than you."

Beau agrees and winks while he says, "Yeah."

Juliette, still sad and frustrated, said, "But what about Mommy? She's not younger than Daddy!"

Gavin continues, "That's the marriage she signed up for when she put on her white dress and walked down the aisle. And she loves it Juliette, don't think she doesn't. Mom and Dad love each other very much."

JD didn't know what to think. Jackson was disgusted. He didn't agree with anything his brothers were saying. He was about to be engaged and could never imagine being so manipulative of the girls he loved and brainwashing them like this. He stayed silent because he knew he couldn't honor his parents with what he was thinking.

Juliette sniffles, "Okay. That makes me feel better. Thank you."

They all hear a muffled commotion coming from downstairs. They hear yelling, then screaming, then yelling, and then things crashing.

Juliette nestles her head into Gavin's chest and he rocks her again. They all didn't know what to say.

Jackson finally spoke, "I'm sick of hearing all of that. Let's go to the panic room and watch a movie."

The boys start to get up and Juliette stays still clinging to Gavin.

He says sympathetically, "Do I really have to carry you?"

Juliette begs, "Please?"

Jackson walks in front of them and grabs Juliette under her arms. "I got you."

He brings her up and she wraps her arms and legs around him. He kisses her forehead and then her cheek and they walk to the sound proof panic room.

Jackson whispers to Juliette as they walk out of the room,

"Life doesn't have to be like this. It just is right now."