Scene 43- With Tension

John orders them both two shots of whiskey as they sit on the barstools at the dark wooden bar lit by candles.

Jackson smiles, "Shots? Aren't you driving home?"

John laughs, "Eh... I'll have your brother drive."

Jackson says, "Speaking of, why just me? You always take Beau and I out drinking."

John looks at him proudly, "Son, I need to talk to you."

Jackson is still smiling but has hesitancy in his face. The shots arrive and they take them at the same time.

Jackson shrugs, "Alright, shoot."

John starts to explain, "The other day when I said I didn't want you to go to college?"

Jackson laughs, "You mean last night?"

John looks at his phone, "Goddamn was it really? I'm losing my mind son."

They both laugh.

John continues his thought, "Well the reason I told you to wait for another opportunity is because I've found one for you."

Jackson gets excited, "Really? A job?"

John says, "Absolutely. My COO is retiring. And I need someone by my side that I can trust. Someone who knows how I work, and is a hard worker themselves. Jack, I want you to come work for me as my COO."

Jackson is taken back. He doesn't know how to make sense of it all.

Jackson says hesitantly, "Dad... I don't know-"

John interrupted and put his hand on Jackson's arm, "Just think about it will you? I know you'll make the right choice."

Jackson nods and they cheer to one final shot.

They go back to the table as the cannolis for the table come out.

Laura jokes, "What was all that about?"

John looks at her and then winks at Jackson, "Jackson's going to be the COO of Warren Industries!"

The whole table erupts with questions and yelling.

Laura gasps, "Jackson you said yes?"

Gavin pats Jackson on the back, "Dude that's sick."

Jackson comforts Scarlett who feels incredibly left out, "I did not say yes. Dad offered it to me and I said I'd think about it."

John waves him off, "Oh same difference. That's just because I taught you well," He turns to the rest of his kids, "Never take the job on the spot, always take time to think about it."

Beau is not happy, "What about Yale?"

Jackson says irritatedly, "I don't know. I didn't realize this would be shared with the entire family."

Laura calms everyone down, "Ok let's just leave it alone and give it some time. These cannolis need to be eaten."

And so they did, but with tension.