Chapter 1 Part 1

Eighteen Years Later... 

Most people don't remember their birth. But I do. My face twitching with unease in my sleep and me murmuring, "No nonono!" As I was forced to see again, for the countless time, the terrible day that my life forever. 

In the beginning, all I saw, all I knew, was darkness. The darkness of the womb I was slowly forming in with my sisters. The time we were ready to come out. I started changing into another form, ripping at my sisters who didn't have my strange ability. Was this normal? I wondered. 

I heard the cries of fear of my human sisters, cries that the other humans outside in the big world couldn't hear. I heard a male voice, possibly my father, said but sounded muffled due to the round skin keeping us in, "She's killing them! Kill her!" He cried. "Somebody kill her!" 

That voice made me more wild. I kicked and slashed at my sisters until they were silent and not moving. When mother put her hand over her womb, I instantly calmed down. Don't know how but it was more like a feeling. A feeling I was loved no matter what I did. "Kill my daughters and I'll kill you!" Mommy's familiar muffled voice sounded threateningly. 

The other adults had opened up Mommy's womb and I had been the last one to come out. I squirmed violently and cried for Mommy, the world too bright, too loud, too unfamiliar. Not until I was safe in Mommy's arms did I stop crying- 

My eyes snap open and I sat up in my bed. My heart pounding and my body sweating. I wipe the sweat across my forehead with the back of my hand. Today was my eighteenth birthday. Eighteen years of the same dream torturing me. It was wired in my mind, playing over and over again. It was even worse on my birthday. It felt more real. More powerful. 

Mommy calls it PTSD. The torturous dream plaguing my mind so I can dream of nothing else. Not that I'm actually diagnosed, mind you. Mommy has never taken me to a doctor so I'm not officially diagnosed but it's still awful. We both don't know how I could remember such a time or why it's torturing me. All I know is that I want it to go away but I don't think it's possible.

I looked over to my apartment bedroom window. It was still dark outside so Mommy was still sleeping. Yeah, that's right. I still called her Mommy. She didn't mind. We had a very close mother daughter relationship. I did sometimes feel bad for waking her up early in the morning. Mommy liked her sleep and usually slept in when I didn't wake her up.

With anxiety taking over, I try to slow down my breathing and heartbeat by saying the things I knew were true, just as my Mommy had taught me. It was supposed to help me know what was real and what wasn't. I thought it was pointless but I did it anyway as I lift my knees, wrap my arms around my legs, and rested my chin on my knees as I murmur, "My name is Emily Wolf. I'm eighteen years old. I live with my Mommy Octavia Wolf and my adoptive sister Jasmine. Mommy and I are both werewitch hybrids. I killed my human sisters inside Mommy. All because my father is human!" A whine escapes my throat. "Screw you Father!" I insulted in anger a second later as I pound my fists angrily on my bed. "Screw you for being human!"

My wolf felt my anger and itched to be out. I felt tingling in my fingers as I felt my claws wanting to come out and felt the urge to rip up the blankets. But I knew Mommy wouldn't be happy to find my blankets ripped up and ruined. Besides, I was never allowed to let my wolf out. Even though I knew she wants to protect me, there was no reason for her to be out. I was just angry, not threatened for my life or anything. But for a werewolf, anger and fear are the same. Mommy had taught me that. I had to keep from shifting so I would be safe and hidden. It was a communication, a bond. Both the wolf and the human need to understand each other.