Chapter 2 Part 3

Once my father and his guards walked away, I said to Mommy, "Why'd you do that?" I demanded. "Now he won't accept me at all!"

Mommy sighed. "I'm sorry Em," she said. "He tried to kill you again. I had to do what I did to protect us."

I scowled, anger rising, crossed my arms in front of my chest, and turned away angrily from Mommy. My plan for getting Father to finally love me was ruined. All thanks to Mommy erasing his memories of us.

"Em," Mommy said, putting a hand on my shoulder but I shrugged her off.

"Leave me alone!" I cried, upset and not looking at her. I didn't see the hurt look on her face as I stood up and took off running back up the stairs to my apartment.

"Emi!" Jasmine cried and I heard her run after me.

I wasn't in a Jasmine mood right now and I wanted to be alone in my room. But I knew with Jasmine, alone wasn't an option. I only had a few seconds to breathe and calm down before Jasmine came.

"Emi?" Jasmine asked as she found me laying on my bed, facing away from her.

"I want to be alone Jazy," I told her as I kept myself from using an angry tone.

Jasmine whimpered and said, "Emi no alone!" She came over, climbed in bed with me, and wrapped her arm around me in a hug.

As I felt the weight of her kind gesture hit me, I started crying. I just couldn't hold it in any longer. I turned and buried myself deep against Jasmine's body. Sometimes it was like Jasmine knew what I needed too.

"Jazy loves Emi," Jasmine repeated softly. She's been saying that a lot. Mostly when I was hurting, like now.

We were wrapped in each other's arms for a long time until we heard a knock on my open door. We turned to see Mommy standing in the entrance to my bedroom. 

"Emi no see Mommy!" Jasmine said in a stern voice that I felt like laughing but my tears kept me from it. "Mommy hurt Emi!" 

Mommy gave us a hurt look. "I know," she said. "But I would like to talk, if that's alright?" 

I nodded my head and Mommy came over to sit with us. She rubbed my shoulder gently. I looked away from her, half ashamed of being upset. 

"I'm sorry Emily," she said softly. "I thought you'd be happy with having Leo forget about us. He tried to kill you, twice now. Now he knows where we live." 

"Will we have to move?" I asked weakly. The thought of permanently leaving the apartment made my stomach turn. I had so many good memories of this place. 

"Prince tried to kill Emi?" Jasmine asked. "Prince hate Emi?" 

I flinched and Mommy sighed. "It's complicated Jasmine," she said. "I used to be his princess." 

"Did Mommy live in castle?" Jasmine asked, her eyes brightened with excitement so she was talking fast. "Mommy rule the humans?" 

Mommy laughed with amusement and I rolled my eyes. Recently, Jasmine would fantasize about living in a castle and ruling over humans. Whenever we played pretend, we would be princesses ruling over our kingdom. Jasmine wanted to rule the humans just as much as I hated them. 

"Yes, I did help rule the humans," Mommy said. "But it wasn't easy. I had to keep my abilities a secret from the humans. Didn't mean to at first, but when you're in love, you'd do anything to keep your love close. Even if it means hiding your magic. My secret came out when I gave birth to Emily and her sisters." I looked away. Here was the part I would always dream about. "But when the two human girls were born, they were dead, slashed and torn by vicious claw marks."