Chapter 14 Part 1

In the morning, I woke up to discover we had a visitor. Alice had found us along with Fireclaw. Jasmine squealed with delight, her first happy noise since we came here, as Fireclaw tackled her to the ground. He was a little bigger than the last time we saw him.

I watched silently as Jasmine was reuniting with Fireclaw. I wounded how long we were away. Jasmine and Fireclaw were pretty happy to see each other again. As I was staring at them, Alice came up to me and gave me a hug before I could stop her. I found that a part of me liked her hug despite what had happened. I even surprised myself by tightening my hug as I clung to her. We hugged for what seemed like several moments before we let go. I almost didn't want to let go.

"Oh my gosh!" She cried. She held onto my shoulders. I smiled meekly. "How'd it go? Where's your mother?"

My smile faded and I felt a lump in my throat. "I found her," I replied, shrugging my shoulders. "But now she's gone! My father, he, he killed her!" I burst into tears and sobbed in Alice's arms. "I'm a monster, Alice!" I sobbed. "I'm a monster!"

Not sure what to do, Alice hugged me back and I was in her arms once more. I heard Jasmine whimper and come over to join our hug. "Emi, Emi, Emi!" She chanted softly, trying to calm me down.

We hugged for a long while until I finally calmed down.

"What?" Alice asked in disbelief. "I'm sure that's not true!" She looked at me, hoping it wasn't true.

I looked away, ashamed, as Lily said, "Yes, it's true. She killed my parents."

I saw Alice turn to look at her. "Princess Lily!" She gasped. "It's an honor to finally meet you!" She bowed in respect toward her.

Lily gave a shy smile like she hardly got recognition when she was a princess back at the castle. "Pleased to meet your acquaintance," she greeted, bowing back at her.

"So, both the prince and princess are dead?" Alice asked.

"Ask her," Lily said, pointing towards me.

I growled. Thanks a lot, Lily! I thought bitterly. I thought you were on my side! I crossed my arms and pouted. Jasmine hugged me once more, clinging onto me, not wanting me to lose control.

Alice looked at me. "What happened Emily?" She asked. "You were supposed to get your mother and come back."

"There was a little complication getting Mommy," I explained with moodiness. Alice raised one eyebrow in confusion. I sighed with annoyance as I had to explain. "We disguised ourselves as servants and no one figured out who we were until we found Mommy. Then we got captured trying to escape the castle. Father had poisoned Mommy with Wolfsbane so she was already dying anyway. I had killed the princess when Father refused to love and help me before his father sentenced us to death. Mommy was on her last breaths when the battle started and we found our way back to her. That was when she died and I killed Father and now we're here." I shrugged my shoulders in a nonchalant way.

Alice remained silent for a while. I hoped she wasn't reconsidering being my friend. If that's what we were, of course. A friend doesn't kill people out of revenge, do they? A part of me didn't want to lose Alice. I hated to admit it but Alice and her family were my only ties to Mommy. Mommy knew them and entrusted them to take care of Jasmine and me while she was away. If I had known than what I know now, I wouldn't have pushed to rescue Mommy. I would've stayed with Alice and her family. Mommy would still have died or escaped but Jasmine and I would be safe with Alice's family and Father would still be alive to hopefully give me a chance and love me like a father would.

"I'm sorry Emily," Alice said sympathetically in a whisper.

"What?" I asked in disbelief, not sure if I heard right.