Chapter 13 Part 1

Once we made it back to the castle, we reappeared in the prison room. I found Mommy lying on the floor of the prison cell. Fear sparked through me. Is it too late? Is she dead? I seriously hope not.

"Mommy!" I cried out before I took Jasmine and we disappeared and reappeared quickly into the cell.

Lily was still in the cell but I didn't take much notice of her. I was worried way more for Mommy. I bent down closer to Mommy and shook her shoulder gently with my hand.

Mommy opened her eyes and coughed and sputtered, looking worse than she had been when I last saw her. She looked at me, her eyes blurred with sadness and pain.

"Mommy?" I asked, my voice cracked with pain. I looked at her with hope in my eyes but when Mommy couldn't get up, a whimper escaped my throat. I bent my head forward and nuzzled her head with mine.

Jasmine crawled over closer to us, whimpering. "What wrong with Mommy, Emi?" She asked me once she was sitting next to me. I shook my head, not wanting to answer her.

"Oh, my girls," Mommy said. I took Mommy's hand to let her know we were listening. "I love you so very much."

"We love you too, Mommy," I replied, my voice cracking with pain. Why did it have to come down to this? If I had come to rescue Mommy the day I found out she went missing, Father wouldn't have struck her with Wolfsbane. But I didn't come right away. The Wolfsbane poison was slowly killing my Mommy and I couldn't do anything about it. No matter how many people I killed, Mommy was still going to leave this world, and me! A sob escaped my throat. Jasmine whimpered and nuzzled my head.

"It's time, my daughters," Mommy said after several moments of silence, her voice quiet.

"No!" I let out a whine of disappointment. "You're coming home with us, Mommy! There's a war going on, but we can escape and make you better!"

Mommy shook her head. "This is how it must be, darling," she said gravely. She was barely able to get up and touched her hand to my cheek. Silent tears flowed down my face. "I can't go home with you."

"Yes you can," I protested. "Please, get up!" My voice cracked with pain.

Jasmine whimpered and she pushed Mommy's head so Mommy would get up but Mommy was too weak to move. "Mommy!" Jasmine whimpered. She bent her head to touch Mommy's. "Jazy save Mommy like Mommy save Jazy!"

"No Jasmine," Mommy said gently. Jasmine sat up, looking devastated. "The poison has reached my heart. Neither of you can save me."

Tears fell down Jasmine's face. "No Mommy!" She cried. "Mommy no leave Jazy! Mommy stay with Jazy forever!"

Jasmine pushed me out of the way so she could bend down and lay with Mommy. She grabbed Mommy's arm and wrapped it over her shoulder and held Mommy's hand. A sob escaped my throat when I saw Jasmine being as innocent as the day we found her in the Valley of Dragons.

"Jazy stay with Mommy!" Jasmine said with stubbornness. "Jazy no move from Mommy!"

Jasmine looked up at Mommy with tears in her eyes and Mommy stroked Jasmine's fingers with hers. "You must go with Emily and get out of here, my girl," Mommy said gently, her voice weaker with each word. She nuzzled Jasmine's head with hers as best she could.

"No! No! Jazy stay with Mommy!" Jasmine whined, sniffling. "Jazy no wanna be alone and scared!"

A sob escaped my throat and I went closer to Mommy and Jasmine and snuggled with them for a little while. I could still hear the sounds of war above us. I closed my eyes, wanting to spend every moment with my Mommy.