Chapter 12 Part 1

We quietly made our way through the castle, Father leading us down the fire lit hallways. Jasmine whimpered softly beside me. But instead of going to the throne room, we walked up some more stairs and out to the balcony. 

The balcony looked out over the courtyard and the kingdom. The Valley of Dragons just miles away. I would be in awe if not for being executed today. A queasy feeling entered my stomach and I felt sick. How could my father hate me so much? If Father loved me then I wouldn't have killed Princess Rose and Mommy, Father, and I could be a family! 

But instead, there were thousands of spectators below us. They were noisy and a lot of them were jeering at us. Angry at us for killing their princess. Or just angry because we were magical creatures. Either way, I hated them. Mostly because they were humans and I hated humans.

I whimpered and laid my head on Jasmine's arm. Jasmine whimpered in return and touched her head to mine. I closed my eyes and pressed my face into Jasmine, not liking the noise of the crowd below us. We touched our fingers together, silently hoping that the humans would see the good in our affection but they never toned down their noise. 

"I hope you enjoy the view, little monster," Father mocked, interrupting me. I opened my eyes to see him standing right next to Jasmine and me. "I made this a public event. The magical creatures will know the price they'll pay for lying to the humans who protect them. You hear their anger, little monster?" Father went on in my ear. "They're angry because you killed their princess. But I'll give them what they want; your head hanged from a tree!" 

I squeezed my eyes tight for a few seconds, squeezing some tears, before I opened them again and asked with a plea, "Why don't you just love me like you're supposed to? It doesn't matter if I killed my sisters or the princess!" I spat the word princess out. "I'm your true heir! Why don't you see that?!" 

Angry, Father grabbed my throat. I was struggling to breathe before I could fully grasp what was happening. "You're not my heir!" He growled. "You're a monster! Not my daughter! Let me show you that!" 

He pushed his hand against my neck, pushing me back into Jasmine who let out a cry of protest, before he moved his hand from my throat. I coughed as air rushed back into my lungs. At the same time, he grabbed the chain connecting my handcuffs and forcefully pulled me toward the edge of the balcony. 

"Emi!" Jasmine yelped with fear and wobbled after me. She nuzzled my head as she whimpered, "Emi no leave Jazy! Jazy scared! Jazy scared!"

I nuzzled Jasmine's head in comfort, doing my best to calm her as well as drown out the noise of the angry humans below us. When did my plan go so wrong? I only wanted to rescue my Mommy and perhaps get my father to love me too! But neither things were going as planned and I hated it! 

"My friends!" Father called out to his people. They slowly quieted down when they heard his voice. He held onto my chain tightly as he went on, "I bring to you, the hybrid who killed your princess!" 

More jeers came from the angry crowd. I couldn't look at the humans below us. They were so loud and so mean. I'm surprised my powers haven't kicked in and stopped the humans from being mean to us. But my wolf, Sadie, wanted to come out. She was angry but I gently stroked Jasmine's fingers to help distract myself from wolfing out. 

"Yes! Show your anger!" Father encouraged the crowd. "Let these criminals know how you feel!" 

The crowd grew louder and Father smirked in my direction. I growled softly, letting him know that I saw his look. I could hear snippets of jeers from the people.

"Get out of here, hybrid!" 

"How dare you kill our princess!" 

"Go run to your traitorous mother!"