7

-Florian's POV-
My ears started ringing as I stared at him in disbelief, "...what?" I breathed out. I knew I should be angry but from watching everything that went down, I was nearly in a daze now. His eyes softened slightly as he continued to stare at me, "Sálufélagi...in your tongue it's probably something close to what you'd call predestined love? Once a demon is around 227 years of age, 18 in human years, their sálufélagi and them perform a ritual together and that bond is complete. What you saw me do with our blood is only a portion of it but...if a demon tries to ignore that draw they have towards their sálufélagi and they don't complete the ritual...their mind will devolve until eventually they're like a mindless beast. It'll happen whether they want it to or not..." he trailed off and looked down at Vipin then sighed. "I didn't know she was my sálufélagi until that day and because she knew nothing of her demon heritage, there's no way she could've known what she was feeling. It also wasn't going to affect her as quickly as it would me...which is why my brother forced my hand. He knew she'd react this way and I'd have to complete the bond or she'd destroy everything and everyone around her. I couldn't let her do that, I didn't want her to have to live with that," he admitted quietly as he stared at her sleeping face. I stared at Zeldris, I felt numb. I didn't know anything about demons and suddenly my entire world was shattered at this admission. He didn't seem to be lying and after watching the marking on her face transform and how quickly she calmed down, I was starting to believe him.

"So you expect me to just accept that Vipin is no longer my wife because of this weird demon bullshit? How do you even know she will accept it?" my voice was devoid of all emotion, what was I supposed to say to something like that? Did Vipin's father know this was a thing? Did my father know about Vipin's mother? I had so many questions but by now what did it matter? Zeldris' eyes met mine, they were sorrowful, "She will only because of the sálufélagi bond we have, she'll stay by my side. It'll cause us both a lot of physical and emotional pain if she were to try to stay with you. Neither of us asked for this and I'm sorry that it's going to tear your world apart...but there's nothing she or I can do to change it." I scowled at him, "Maybe you're wrong, maybe because she's only half demon it won't be that way for her. What if I just take her with me and hide away like we were going to before she ran off to find you?" His eyes immediately turned black, I noticed they had a hint of red in them, "You'll die trying before I let you take her from me," he growled and grabbed my shirt, his face was now in mine. He was seething and I noticed then his eyes had the same sort of hazy look that Vipin's did in that instance. He shook his head and slowed his breathing then his eyes returned to green, "I'm sorry...I...the bond ritual is only partially complete so I'm not quite stable yet. You might want to leave before she wakes up though..."

"Hell no! I'm not leaving her alone after something like that and what do you mean it's only partially complete, what more could you have to do?!" I yelled in his face, I stood up in anger this time. This guy was insane if he thought I was going to abandon Vipin after something so traumatic! He rolled his eyes and stood as well, "What do you think? What'd you do the night of your wedding? Leaving is for your own good, once she wakes up it'll be like we're animals in heat. I don't make the rules, I'm trying to spare your feelings. Demons run on a lot more instinct than any of the other clans, it's probably why the rest of you see us as vile beasts. But this was the hand she and I were dealt when we were born, I'm sorry you got caught up in it. There's nothing that can be done to change it." I clenched my fists, I was trembling from all of the feelings that were swirling inside me yet again, "Go home and wait for her there. Once we're in our right minds again, I'll make sure we come to you so the two of you can talk." Tears stung my eyes, I was about to argue again when I noticed his eyes started to glaze over and Vipin was starting to stir. As much as I didn't want to leave, I could already feel his energy felt different. When he glanced at me, there was hostility in his eyes and with whatever 'humanity' was left in his mind in that moment, he grunted out, "...leave...now!"