chapter 25

'Cadet.' He gestured towards the empty space; perfect for running laps.

I nodded my head. Usually, a remark of sorts would be in order but I was trying to keep a level of distance between us. I couldn't help myself sometimes, but, I had to show the Captain that I was done. Done.

I started into a jog and Levi perched himself on a stone wall, giving him a good view of where I was going to run. He suddenly somehow had a tea in his hand and was staring intently into its darkness. I ran at a steady pace, up and down, up and down. The air was still- warm against my face. I inhaled and exhaled rhythmically working to not tire myself out. I glanced at the Captain and he was entranced by his tea- the perfect moment. I slowed my pace for a moment and took a relieving full breath. 

It did not go unnoticed.

His eyes locked with my own. He kept his glare on me as I slipped back into a jog. He meant for me to go faster. 

'No slacking off, Cadet.'

He always managed to muster a tone that sounded so indirect it was like I was just any other Cadet. A small twang rippled down my body when I heard him.

why was it so easy for him to just forget?

I thought back to that morning: the morning when his hands were all over me, when I was his- he sent sparks to every region of my body yet seemed to take them away within an instance. 

I ran and I ran, distracted by my thoughts. He continued staring blankly into his tea. I had been running for at least half an hour back and forth. My lungs began to ache, my legs started to feel the strain of my endeavours and the worst of it was how bored I realised I had become. I slowed my pace a little- just a fraction. 

'Cadet.' 

I stopped and looked at him.

He raised his eyebrow slightly.

'Yes, sir?' I asked innocently, smiling politely.

The neutrality in his gaze shifted for microsecond. 

'Keep going.' He said, the bored look returning to his face as quickly as it left.

I started into a comically slow jog. He watched me carefully, he rolled his eyes, 'Tch.'

I stopped again, my patience had been exceeded, 'How much longer does this go on for?' 

God, my attempt to not talk did not last long. Typical.

'It's supposed to be a punishment.' He nodded his head for me to continue.

'Can we do something else?' I pleaded,

'Do you ever learn?' He brought himself to his feet and his face crossed with frustration, 'You're harder to discipline than Eren.' He grimaced.

I mean- I had been running up and down in the exact same place for longer than I could keep my sanity. What did he expect?

'We'll do some combat if you can run until 5:30.' He crossed his arms, 'Can you manage that, Cadet?'

'Just about.' I rolled my head back and walked to where I started my run from. He smirked to himself but I was too focused on my running to notice.

Time seemed to drag on, a second felt like a minute and a minute an hour. I'd been doing these absurd laps for at least an hour and a half. I almost regretted yearning for a traditional punishment from Erwin- perhaps Levi's usual twisted telling off would've been preferable. 

Levi rose from his seat and I looked over to him, he nodded his head. I sighed deeply and quickly caught my breath. My face was glowing slightly from my sweat and I removed my jacket. I was wearing some comfortable leggings and a spaghetti strap vest top. I noticed Levi's eyes drift over my body slightly until they rapidly returned to my face. He cleared his throat. I smiled slightly.