chapter 29

I hoisted Armin to his feet as he had fallen to his knees and his eyes were covered in an anger I hadn't seen before. Armin had liked Dita and Luke, as had I. Any loss was painful.

Together, we launched ourselves into a pursuit of the female titan on horseback. Suddenly, I noticed a figure at my right side. Reiner.

We acknowledged each-other and kept moving. Now was not the time for whatever feud we had.

Soon enough, we were joined by Jean. I exhaled a sigh of relief as he shot a flare gun into the sky to alert the formation of the attack. More survivors in the right flank managed to do the same, bodies littered the ground as we rode. The female titan continued eagerly and quickly. Armin and I made eye contact for a moment- both of us seemed to realise something.

The titan had been searching for Eren. He was not in the right flank- it would've been too dangerous. He was most likely in the centre of the formation, secured by all of those around him.

Armin attempted to distract the titan, claiming that Eren was dead. Smart move. It faltered for a moment, Reiner and I sprung upwards, blades drawn. He leaped towards the titan and it clasped him in its hand. Dread filled my heart. Reacting on instinct, I went for the back of the titans head- immediately it flung me off. I managed to make gashes on its leg but nothing deep enough.

Would Reiner be the next death I witnessed?

Suddenly, he emerged from its hand. His face wild with rage. Before I could get another slice into the titans leg, it changed its course, rampaging through the right flank and towards the centre of the formation.

Armin, Reiner and Jean had retreated, mounting their horses and trying to return to a some sort of formation as rapidly as their horses would allow them. I had swung myself around the female titan and ended up, still in the right flank, closer to the centre. My horse was no where to be seen and neither were my friends. The horde of titans brought by the creature were still ever present. Two of them lumbered towards me. They were big and slow, but still terrifying. I froze for a moment, stricken with panic. I shouldn't engage, I should find an escape.

Who would they kill next if I let them escape?

I couldn't just leave them. This was perhaps a 'stupid' decision Levi was referring to. Two titans, one me.

Light work, right?

I pressed forward sharply, hauling my body weight towards the slightly taller titans legs. It's torso was short- a weakness. I used all of my strength, pulling new blades from my side and spinning once as I did. My blades cut deeply into the titans ankles, it fell to the floor with a flood. As I buried my gear's hooks into the titan's neck in order to launch a slash on its nape, I was knocked out of the air. Heavily winded. The other titan had knocked me out of my momentum. It had hit me across my legs, my thighs were sure to bruise.

For some reason I took this personally, it was trying to take my first titan kill from me.

I yelled loudly as I catapulted towards it, I ran along it's short, stupid little arm as fast as I could, quickly digging my hooks into its back, pulling my body weight away from its neck and then catapulting myself along its nape, cutting deeply into its flesh. It began to fall and I leapt off its head, plummeting towards the other titans neck, all my strength unleashing into its nape.

'Dicks.' I spat and stepped off the now lying down titans shoulders. My face was covered in blood. Two titans wiped out.

Nice.

I heard hooves patter against the grass behind me, two sets. It was Christa. I missed her ever positive face. She looked at me with admiration, smiling gently.