Four • Lost and found

"I told you not to bother Billie. What were you thinking Wren?" Avery sighed while pulling her out into the hallway.
"I- she."
Wren was quickly cut off by Avery sighing deeply.
"If I lose this job you'll lose me."
"She offered me the help so I accepted it since nobody else offers."
Avery brought her hand up to smack wren but Billie came out.
"How's your hand feeling wren? I hope I didn't wrap the bandage too tight for you."
"I-it's fine Billie. T-thank you." Wren lowered her head as she felt Avery's gaze burn deep into her.
Billie disappeared somewhere but Avery wasn't done speaking.
Speaking turned into shouting and scolding which caused Wren to flee. She ran.
And hid in a supply closet near the exit door.
She dropped her phone, headphones and vape while she was running.
But she didn't care.
She could hear her phone ringing in the hallway but she tucked her head into her hands and cried.
Avery most likely didn't care at all so she knew nobody would come looking.
That was until she heard footsteps approaching the door.
They paused for a moment and she could hear the clacking of nails picking up her belongings.
"Wren?" A calm voice called out from behind the door.
"You aren't in trouble. Avery left already. If you could just come out for me. Can you do that?"
She then realized it was Billie looking for her.
How embarrassing.
She tucked herself behind the stacked up boxes and tried to contain her sobs but once Billie entered the closet she realized exactly where wren was hiding.
"There you are." She smiled while scooting the boxes out of the way.
Wren didn't speak.
She couldn't process what was happening right now.
Though her vision was blurry from the tears flooding her eyes she could still make out the silhouette of Billie sitting beside her.
"I finished my show early. I think you should come hang out with me at my house. How does that sound?"
Wren still didn't respond.
But Billie was growing tired so she just stood up and grabbed Wren, picking her up and carrying her out of the dark, smelly closet.
Wren got comfortable and laid her head on Billie shoulder while she walked the long walk to the car.
How embarrassing is this.