Chapter 55

River Pov.
It was later in the day now and we were at cemetery burying Hayes.

Nash came back but demanded we cut the service at the church shorter.

Everyone had said their goodbyes and we were now watching his casket being lowered into the dirt.

I held back every tear I had.

I looked behind me and could just see Maggie. She was in tears.

She looked really different to usual.

I mean besides the black dress and tied back hair. She looked dull. Like she had lost her sparkle.

She lost Hayes.

Her sparkle.

I realised that Hayes probably made her as happy as he made me because she was always there for him and I wasn't. But Hayes always chose me over her.

She was crushed and hurt and I honestly don't blame her.

I realised soon I had been staring at her too long and I turned away.

"Ready to get out of here?" Kian whispered in my ear as soon as the dirt was filling the hole.

"I'll meet you guys at home, I'm going to stay back awhile." I gave Kian a smile to give him some sort of comfort letting him know that I would be fine.

Kian and Jc then walked off and drove away.

Most people started to leave at this point.

I stood under a tree in the distance watching Hayes family say their final goodbyes.

"Hey"

I turned around to match the voice with her face.

It was Maggie.

I turned back around and rested my head against the tree, "Hey" I replied.

Everything fell silent.

"Maggie" I paused, "I wanted to say sorry"

"For what?"

"For everything and nothing, I'm just sorry"

Maggie walked up next to me as we looked each other in the eyes.

"We use to be best friends, what happened to us?" Maggie spoke as she reached out her hands and held on to mine.

Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying she had done.

I didn't reply not knowing what to say.

"I want to let you know something and you have to promise you won't tell anyone." Maggie spoke and I nodded signalling her to go on, "I'm running away."

As soon as she spoke I stood stunned.

"Well not running away I'm just getting a fresh start. This place is too toxic" Maggie said trying to assure me the best.

"You can't be serious" I pulled my hands away from her.

"I've never been more serious." Maggie looked at me harshly, "If I stay here I'm not going to be myself. We live in such a toxic youth. We are kids yelling at the door for freedom when it's always been unlocked. We waste our days and nights glued to our screens. I want to get out and explore and be happy before I get held down by the reality of it all."

"Maggie.."

"No River, I don't want to be known as the girl part of the wasted generation. I'm going to live my life" Maggie was now tensed up and it scared me.

"You know what they say: What a time to be alive , am I right?" I forced a laugh but Maggie wasn't into it.

"I just wanted to let you know before you think I totally abandoned you" Maggie turned away.

"Actually you know what? You are wrong about one thing!" I turned to her clenching my fist and biting my lip, "you already completely abandoned me because you haven't been there for me at all for the past few months! I needed my best friend and you weren't anywhere to be seen!" The tears streamed out of my eyes.

Maggie stood staring at me for a bit before opening her mouth to speak, "I wish you luck for the future" she smirked as tears ran down her face and walked away.

I broke down to the ground crying as I sat against the big oak tree.

Wind started brushing against the leaves forcing some to fall down.

I looked over to Hayes grave once more and noticed only Nash stood there now.

I watched him for another five minutes until he suddenly broke down crying.

I got up and ran as tears filled my eyes.

I started running home.

It was a long way but I would be fine.