17: Realization

"Thank you." It's been two days since he let me take a shower. Ever since then I've said thank you every time he brought me a meal.

"Okay, cut this shît out." I sat stunned. He never warned me that he didn't like it so I didn't know I was only making things worse.

"Why?" I forced myself to say.

"I don't want to hear your gratitude." It looked like he wanted to say more but stopped himself, and the way he said gratitude was almost like he was mocking me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." In my head I wanted to go off on him but I bit my tongue and went with something more innocent.

His jaw clenched and so did his hands as they turned into fists.

"Just eat." His voice came out deeper than before, with a husky undertone. I have no idea what that means but I'm guessing I've upset him.

I only nodded my head, I was going to say thank you again but I already knew what awaited me so I refrained.

He left after that. Thank god this was the last meal because it would've been awkward.

After eating the food I laid down ready to sleep. I had been trying new methods recently to help me sleep faster.

I get into bed when the sun is out but I don't fall asleep until a few hours after the sun sets and then I constantly wake up during the night.

The nightmares have almost completely stopped and I only dream black now.

I feel as if I'm losing fear of this man.

I feared him when I first saw him but now I'm talking back to him and...I think I've gotten stronger in some way or another.

I start singing to myself. This was one of the first things I did, I sang every song I could recall.

Then I went onto talking aloud about the things I did that day.

After, I make up short stories with happy endings. I need a happy ending. I need to believe things will always turn out okay.

When all of that is done, I count to a thousand and then I count backwards from a thousand.

If I still can't sleep then I repeat.

As I was in the middle of my fourth song, I heard the locks turn.

My head turned to the door and Drew came in. He looked so conflicted and I was confused as to why he visited me more often than what he had to.

"We need to make rules for how this is going to work." What?

"I'm trying to be as nice as I can, seeing as I've come to the realization you shouldn't have to entirely pay for your father's sins."

Where was this coming from?

"Uh..." That was all I could say as I watched him walk closer towards me.

Since when did kidnappers decide to have half a heart after keeping a hostage for months? This is fûcking ridiculous, how long it took him to realize.

But he finally did, and I'll take it.

-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

Double update cause I have no life