23: Room

"You'll be making every meal from now on." That was the first thing he said since he left hours ago.

"Okay." I turned around to face him and his face was void of emotion.

I felt his stare burning into me. As if trying to analyze me. Trying to pick apart every little piece of me. I waited for a moment expecting him to speak again. He didn't. Then as always he left me alone. I heard the familiar turn of the locks and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

It wasn't freedom but it certainly was better than downstairs.

I had to be grateful for every little thing down here.

It hadn't been very long before Drew came back to get me. Or maybe it didn't feel like it had been long. He had left a deck of cards here and I was entertaining myself with them when he stepped into the room.

"Come on." His voice was rough as usual. Always sounding like he was on the verge of lashing out.

I got up almost with a bounce to my step and walked out. In front of him like always.

"What are you wearing?" I couldn't tell if he was angry.

"It's the leggings you gave me after my first shower, it's just hot so I cut them." I hadn't thought much of it when I did it.

"How did you cut them?" He spoke every word slowly and precisely as if I was too dumb to understand him talking at a normal pace.

"Persistence." Before he could say something else I decided to ask him what he wanted to eat.

"Tacos." I nodded and walked straight to the kitchen. Everything was set up.

"Thank you." He only shrugged. I began to prepare the things and he stood there leaning against the doorway...watching me.

"Can you get me tortillas," I heard him walk and then I heard the fridge open. I turned around quickly and was surprised at how close he was.

"Here." He handed me the bag of small tortillas. I gulped and took them from him. I didn't have a firm grasp on them however and they slipped from my hand.

I cursed and cringed inwardly.

"How about I hand them to you." Once again he wasn't asking me.

"Thank you." I turned away because I knew the blush would creep onto my face from the embarrassment.

After he helped me I thankfully had no more awkward moments with him.

We ate in quiet and just like I expected...he walked me back to the room afterwards.

"Did you find the deck of cards?" We had reached the door of the room he had moved me to.

"Yeah, thank you for those."

"Stop saying thank you, alright." I wanted to laugh. I had realized how uncomfortable he got whenever I thanked him. It made me want to do it more often. If I had to be uncomfortable then so should he.

"Sorry." He grimaced. This man is allergic to manners.

"Well it's better than a thank you." Then he actually smiled at me.

Usually I wouldn't have noticed. A smile is such a simple humanistic thing to do. Nothing special. Except, I had never seen him smile. In fact, I would have sworn he never learned how to. His face was incapable of producing a genuine smile.

I hated the way my eyes dropped to his mouth. To take note of the way his lips looked angled upwards. Realizing now how full they are. He really was blessed with the features on his face. His face was a stark contradiction to the man he was. The face of a fallen angel.

I shook my head, what am I doing?

"Night." Then I opened the door and went inside, quickly closing it behind me. I heard him turn the locks after a few minutes.

What's going on?

We're acting as if...as if-if we're friends...

We can't be friends. He is my kidnapper. I cannot be thinking this way. These are dangerous thoughts that are just proof of my insanity.

Nothing more, nothing less. Right?

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;